Polk R50

Serniter
Unregistered guest
Hello, I'm considering getting a pair of R50s to use with a Sony 5.1 receiver (STR-K750P) in stereo mode at 100 watts per channel. These speakers are sometimes on sale and cost under $200 shipped. I was wondering if there's a negative to these speakers. The alternative I'm considering are Sony MF750h. Though I admit these arent highly rated speakers, they're what I can afford right now. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

milagro
Unregistered guest
At under $200 shipped I'd get the Athena AS-B1.2s from audioadvisor.com --- the R50s are big but sound like crap and will sound even crappier with an underpowered receiver like the Sony which probably puts out a realistic 40wpc on a good day.

The Sony speakers are even worse junk than the Polk R50s. You can also look at the fluance.com speakers which will at least be better than Sony speakers and maybe better than the Polk R-series too.

serniter
Unregistered guest
Thank you. I'll look at those speakers next. The speakers that came with this receiver were awful. Wonder if the receiver is passable..

milagro
Unregistered guest
The Sony receiver I would upgrade as soon as budget allows.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 513
anything from sony (except their TV's and ULTRA high end audio) is junk.

I myself have a sony portable CD player and an iPod has better sound quality. What does that tell you when something passing a compressed, distorted signal sounds better than a CD player?

serniter
Unregistered guest
Atleast its not my ears then! lol. For a while I thought it was just my system that sounded bad. Tried positioning speakers at different locations too. Listened to a few other friends' 'home theatres' by Sony and all of them were terrible. Hence the attempt to rescue sound by using better speakers. I appreciate the info being posted on here, and wish a lot more people knew about how to get good audio equipment.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 519
I would reccomend looking into a pair of wharfedale diamonds.

The bookshelf speaker models have GREAT sound, and you can find them for under $200 (I believe $150) if you look around.

you just have to look around in the forum here to find where to purchase them from.

I used to have a pair of wharfedales, and loved the sound.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 520
found it for you,

here is the link for the Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 from buy.com. The price is $180 a pair

http://www.buy.com/prod/Diamond_8_2_Monitor_Speaker_in_Black_Internally_Wired_wi th_Monster/q/loc/111/90123864.html

This is the link for the Diamond 8.1, which recieved international praise from the audiophile press. This speaker is $133 a pair

http://www.buy.com/prod/Diamond_8_1_Monitor_Speaker_in_Black_Internally_Wired_wi th_Monster/q/loc/111/90123859.html

If you want a tower model, this is the Diamond 8.3, which is an AWESOME speaker. It sells for $104 each.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Diamond_8_3_Minitower_Speaker_in_Black_Internally_Wired_ with_Monster/q/loc/111/90123854.html

if you don't have to have loud bass, I would definatly take a look at the diamond 8.1. It is a great little speaker.

the 8.2, meanwhile, should have enough bass to hold you over if you like more of it.

but, I just read a review that tells how great the bass on the 8.1 is, and how much of it there is given the size and price of the speaker.

Serniter
Unregistered guest
Thanks again for the suggestions. I ordered a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.3s from audioadvisor.com. They were offering them at $168.32 a pair.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=WHARFD8.3B

milagro
Unregistered guest
good choice!

later on when you have the cash, bi-amp them with the panasonic sa-xr55 and you'll be set.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 568
that panny amp is also sh!t if you ask me... bright as hell

Serniter
Unregistered guest
Since I'm keen on music and not on movies, would an Onkyo 8511 be appropriate? Are there other alternatives in terms of being a good match with the Wharfedale 8.3s or price? Its still going to be a while before I get one, but doesnt hurt to be prepared in advance!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 571
I would take a look at recievers such as:

integra (onkyo's high end line...much smoother)
pioneer elite
harman kardon
rotel
denon
decent grade yamaha
outlaw audio (internet only)
onix intergrated (www.av123.com)

all of these will run you approx $300 and up, with some more.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us