HK vrs NAD

Anonymous

In the not too distant future, I plan to build a high fidelity stereo system largely for music, although I may use it for the soundtrack of a movie or two. I'm looking mostly at Paradigm products right now for speakers. I auditioned the Monitor 11 and liked them quite a bit, and the store will bring in a pair of Studio 20s for me to listen to as well. But before I get too far ahead of myself, I want to look into amplification for this system. There are two options I am considering right now. The first is the NAD C320 BEE for 399 from the dealer; the other is the HK 3480 stereo receiver from jr.com for 269. Now I'm not stupid, and I know numbers aren't everything, but these numbers seem so blatantly one sided on the HK's side that it's pathetic. 120wpc vrs 50wpc just seems like a mismatch, particularly when HK is well known for actually meeting its specs (not to say that NAD isn't). I just would like to know what the NAD has over the HK, if anything. Unfortunately I can't really compare the NAD with a whole heck of a lot as all they carry that and Onkyo. Any insights you guys could give would be much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7424

Both amplifiers are of better than average quality and you'll probably find as many people suggesting one as the other. My personal preference is for the HK, though I've not heard the current 320BEE. The choice will, to some extent, depend on your taste in music and presentational style. With high energy, studio production recordings as a mainstay of what you listen to, the NAD might be the better choice when paired with the Paradigms, if you are looking for some balance and punch in the system. For jazz and classical and most acoustic music, I'd still go with the HK for the way the Harman products have always sounded. My opinion is the HK has guts; but only when it is called upon by the music. Its sound is expansive and yet not cartoonish. As a line NAD just doesn't seem to get everything right when I listen to their gear. It's a bit flat overall and not as dramatic as the HK on most music. Both amps have sins of omission (much better than sins of commission), but the HK covers its act better to my ears. The NAD does nothing overtly wrong, and does more things right than most amplifiers in this price range; but it's just not to my liking. But, that's just my opinion. If you have friends who keep up with audio somewhat, they will probably think the NAD is the better choice when they come over.

You can't really go wrong with either compared to the mistakes you could make.

That should clarify everything.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1170
If you plan on turning up the volume at any given time, the H/K will out power the bee hands down, especially with a low impedance speaker like the 20.
That said, the H/K will also drive larger speakers, or 4 of the 20's quite nicely.
As Jan has pointed out the qualities of each brand, I would point out that in this case, yes, it is apples to apples for power.

Anonymous

Thank you for your help guys. I just wanted to confirm my suspicions on the quality of the two pieces versus each other. I have to admit I am somewhat surprised by the outcome, but so much the better for me I suppose.

Just because I am the curious type, I will still listen to the NAD and see what it has to offer (they didn't have any set up the last time around). I suppose it would be the right thing to do to warn the gentleman that I am leaning towards the HK though.

As for musical tastes, they do run towards classic rock (Beatles, Who, Lynyrd, etc).

Anonymous

One last question for those with experience with the HK: In reading reviews I found something that could be a problem. I was considering hooking up a HSU STF-1 to the system as well to give some added punch for the occasional movie. To my chagrin it seems that the X-over isnt adjustable and is set all the way up at 150Hz. Perusing the manuals, nothing about bass management is really mentioned. I mean, I guess I could always do speaker level inputs to get the xover where I want it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having that sub-out. Any insights would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7426

If that's correct reagrding the sub out Xo point, I would consider that a slight disadvantage when running a subwoofer. But, only in relation to having on the fly adjustment from the remote. Personally, I hear no sound quality problems running high level lines to the sub, if the sub has a high quality Xo in its plate amp. This connection allows more subtle adjustments to the Xo point instead of the typical ten Hz jumps that most processors allow. You trade one benefit for one inconvenience in my opinion.

And, of course, I don't know whether the 320BEE has a sub out at all. (I could look on the NAD website, but I'll leave that up to the person considering the purchase.) If it has no sub out, then you're once again at apples to apples.

Anonymous

Thank you for your help Jan.

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_s

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 23
Anon. H/K receivers will NOT light up Paradigm Studio 20's and get the most out of them. Skip the 320BEE and buy a used C352 or C370 at Audiogon classifieds ($300 or less). I auditioned a HK 435 in my home for four weeks and, while it was good for HT, it really failed to make my Paradgim Studio 40's sing the way my NAD C370 did. Even at low volumes the NAD sound was much more rich and detailed, especially the vox humana (which I consider the real test).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us