Marantz SR7500/8500 a good upgrade from Onkyo 801?

Bronze Member
Username: Djwages

Post Number: 25
Just wondering if upgrading to a Marantz SR7500 or 8500 would be a worthwhile upgrade from an Onkyo TX-NR801. I'm looking for better 2-channel performance but still want the surround quality and from what I've read the Marantz has it. I have a Marantz 2252B from the 70's that blows the Oink out of the water so having another Marantz had some attraction. I've also considered the NAD lines. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Username: Stevo

Margate, FL. USA

Post Number: 9
I'm looking at the Marantz SR8500. Or the Outlaw 990/7700.
Putting them with Paradigm studio 60s cc570 and 20s.
I like the Marantz sound with the Paradigms.
haven't heard the Outlaw yet. Does anybody have the Outlaw 990/7700 with the Paradigms? If so how does it sound?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 716
Go to a local audio store and check out the Marantz and decide. I'm not a big fan of Onkyo, but I don't know how much of an upgrade you would get by spending this money.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommy_jenkins

Tallahasse, FL

Post Number: 12
The 7500/8500 are much more musical but for the money you could just add a 2-channel external amp to your Onkyo, or upgrade your mains if needed. What speakers are you using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Mirage M490s. 8" ported, 6ohms with 86db sensitivity. My vintage Marantz really wakes them up with incredible bottom end, almost too much. But the Oink is flat.

More specs here: http://www.miragespeakers.com/PDFs/classic_manuals/90/M-490/M490brochure.pdf

Bronze Member
Username: Tommy_jenkins

Tallahasse, FL

Post Number: 13
You could consider just adding this for your 2-channel listening:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MARAPM7200&product_name= PM7200%20Integrated%20Amplifier%20-%20Black

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Thanks. I used to have a B&K and regret ever getting rid of it. I'm considering another B&K and using the Oink as the Preamp, but the Marantz IntAmp looks nice also and would eliminate any Oink from the equation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us