Onkyo TX-SR503 or TX-SR702 ??

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
Which is a better AV receiver to go for - Onkyo TX-SR503 or TX-SR702?
(The TX-SR702 has the advantage of being THX certified. and as per Forum reviews, TX-SR503 has received lot of accolades)
Based on your experience, which one should I go for?

Username: Edunham

Post Number: 5
I have the TX-NR801 and love it. I think Onkyo has some good stuff if you drive the right speakers. Low THD. Unless you are one of those true "audiophiles" which I don't proclaim to be, I think either one will work, but the THX is a good certification. They use rigerous tests to make sure their sound will be reproduced accurately over a long period of time. I'll just listen to the THX intro on DVD's like Star Wars and revel in the 7.1 surround it puts out!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 74
Will you use it mostly for music or HT?

If you are not "one of those audiophiles" the SR503 might work pretty well.

I've just tested one Onkyo 503 with Ascend speakers and it sounded honest, even in 2-channel.

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
Nope, I am not "one of those audiophiles."
But I sure wud like to get one good AV Receiver which I wudnt have to upgrade in the near future.

I had zeroed in on the Onkyo TX-SR503, when umpteen suggestions came up to consider Marantz SR-4500 or Marantz SR-5600.

I wud use it for 70% music and 30% movies. and I stay in an apartment with the hall just below 200 sq feet.

now am confused....

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5354
Do you have access to any of these? Can you listen to them in any way?

Compared to Onkyo, I would consider the Marantz myself.

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
no access to Marantz yet.
I heard the Onkyo, but cant compare unless I listen to the Marantz.
Berny, is there any particular Marantz model u wud suggest? is the SR-5600 a good model?

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 76
Onkyo is good both for music and movies. Its sound is more "open" than the Marantz.

I think Marantz has better reputation of actual power and reliability, besides having better finishing. It is on the warmer side of receivers and it is surely better for music, while not "thrilling" for movies.

Depending on the type of speaker you are using, one might sound better than the other. Better try on both and decide.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5361
I have listened to the Marantz 5600 coupled with Axiom m60 speakers. I liked the musicality and the way it performed with movies as well.

As Jorge stated, the type of speakers you use will be important and the Marantz is better known for its power supplies but I believe they are both reliable.

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
Read a number of times in the Forum that the Onkyo TX-SR503 gets pretty warm (sometimes even hot) when playing...even for a short duration.
Why does this happen?
Does it harm the Receiver?
(the same problem is also noticed in any of the Onkyo SR-602s)

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 77
Yes, it gets really hot. It's because of the transformer.

Provided you don't close the unit in a bookshelf niche nor put a DVDp on it, there should be no problem.

In extreme cases, you might adapt a computer cooler on top of it.

Bronze Member

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 78
PS- it's recommendable to leave 10" clearance over the receiver.

I recently had one Yamaha "fried" (it shorted) cause my wife let the turntable sitting on it for a couple of hours, while she listened to the FM.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us