Receiver For Athena AS-F2.2 Speakers

Username: Davel

Springfield, Illinois

Post Number: 1
It's time to replace my old 15 wpc Pioneer Receiver and hand-me-down AR speakers. Because of limited funds at this time, I would like to began purchacing AV equipment that I can continue to build on over time. Ultimately I want a full HT system that is capable of connecting to HDTV realizing 1080p resolution. For now, I want to begin with good main speakers and a 5.1 or 6.1 AV receiver. I am very interested in the Athena AS-F2.2 Speakers. Origionally I was interested in the Yamaha HTR-5850 receiver until I read various forums that said that Yamaha's are rather bright sounding. Nad, Marantz, and HK all were recommended as good matches for the Athena's because they were warmer sounding. My budget for a receiver is under $300.00 if I can. These three manufacturers are a bit our of my price range, especially when plenty of connections for future pieces of equipment are a requirement. Entry level models often lack in this area.

I would welcome anyone's recommendation for a great "warm" sounding receiver that would be a match for the Athena Speakers. For now, I will be using it in stereo mode connected to a cd player and also connected to my analog tube tv.

I enjoy clasic rock and acoustic guitar. My wife is into country and seasonal Christmas music.

The room is a vaulted living room about 16 ft.x 30 ft. with and attached Dining Room.

I am not interested in refurbished equipment, however, older model years if new are fine.

Thanks for your comments!!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3617
If your budget is under $300 I would not recommend huge floorstanders of any kind because they will never sound their best being underpowered by a cheap receiver. You could try something like a Pioneer 815 from someplace with a liberal return policy like Best Buy but I doubt it'd have the quality current to power them easily.

Or, you could also increase your budget by $100 and get this:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5400BLKA

Username: Davel

Springfield, Illinois

Post Number: 2
Thanks Edster,

Do you feel the Marantz SR4600 would also be a good choice? It's available for a little less and no shipping costs.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3619
I'm not sure how the 4600 compares to the 5400, I know there's a slight difference in power and the 4600 has 7 instead of 6 available channels. One of the reasons I bought the 5400 was its reputation as Marantz's most mechanically reliable AVR at the time, no idea how it compares with today's model line. My unscientific gut feeling is the 5400 would be worth the extra $20 over the 4600.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 815
In my opinion for Athena speakers the receiver should be as warm as possible. I'd suggest Pioneer Elite, Marantz and Harman Kardon - in that order.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5028
I agree...Marantz will be a good choice for Athenas.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 339
I have the first series Athena AS-F2s driven by a NAD C370 120Wpc stereo integrated amp. Save up your money and go for the NAD. You will be happy you did. They love an amp with guts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us