Problem with HK AVR-340 and HDTV signal

J. Marx
Unregistered guest
Hi,

Recently set-up a home theater system using a HK AVR-340 receiver. Everything sounds great, but I am having trouble with the video pass-through on the HK receiver. I have component video from my cable box to the receiver, which then sends the video to a Samsung DLP HDTV. Everything works great EXCEPT when watching a HD channel.

In HD, when the picture goes black (such as between commercials or dark scenes in a movie), the HK receiver thinks the digital signal is lost and tries switching to the analog video input. (it promptly returns to the component video) This is very annoying!!! The HK receiver instructions mention an "auto polling" feature which automatically looks for analog in the absence of a digital signal...I turned that off, but still have the problem.

Has anyone else come across this? Perhaps it's simply a weak cable-signal from the cable box...?

- J. Marx

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 418
J Marx: First let's set something straight, component video is analog, not digital even if it is progressive scan or HDTV. Only HDMI and DVI are true digital video connections. Next I'll ask you why run the component video through the receiver? Why not run the signal from the cable box directly to the Samsung DLP, it has plenty of inputs. This will keep the signal path as short as possible and not subject it to possible sources of noise from being routed through the receiver and also eliminate the problem you are having as well.

J. Marx
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the clarification on the component video being analog (that makes good sense now that I think about it!). And you're right that connecting the cable box directly to the Samsung DLP would solve the problem. (That actually was my previous set-up) The reason I'm now attempting to run the video through the receiver is simply because I wanted to try out that complete source mediation feature. (I.e. one remote to change video/audio source) If I can't get this issue figured out though, then I'll revert back to connecting the cable box directly to the DLP.

Having that said, the problem I'm having still concerns me as it might be symptomatic of a bigger issue (such as a weak cable signal in the house). That's why I wanted to try to get it figured out... Any other thoughts...?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 814
Logitech Harmony remote controls. I recently purchased one and love it. Easy to set-up )through USB to computer) and very intuitive. It will switch all audio/video inputs at the touch of one button. The 520 model I bought can be had for under $70, well worth the purchase - it keeps the other remotes healthy, its attractive, and the female in one's life can finally work the system easily.

I run 2 components through my HK430 - but only because I'm out of inputs on my TV (Only 2 component, 1 HDMI) I've noticed when switching to a source with no video - such as cable music, it will put a freeze frame of the last channel on the screen, otherwise I've never had it switch inputs. Do you have any S-video or composite sources hooked up the receiver?

Unregistered guest
I just got the same reciever and am having the exact same issue, as far as I am concerned its unacceptable and the reciever is probably going back to h/k after I call them to see if they can resolve it

Unregistered guest
Just talked to H/K, the receiver can't handle anything greater than 480i or 480p coming in throught the component input. the guy was sharp and knew it stratight away.

It works fine at 480 but not at 720 or 1080, so that means it's going back. and I need to find another receiver.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 824
I run my Motorola DVR through the HK430 with component. I have no issues with the HD content.

My TV has two video settings - one for inputs 480i/p, one for 720p/1080i. It's clearly receiving the signal in HD through the receiver.

Unregistered guest
The picture comes out okay, but when the screen goes to a dark place :-) It can't handle it when the HD Tivo is outputting at anything over 480.

This is most noticable when a show goes to commercial, every single time it goes and comes back I get the blue screen in the background.

the tech told me that it the circuitry is unable to handle it. :-(

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 825
I wonder if this is a difference between the 300 and 400 series receivers, between the DVR/PVRs or between the model years.

I've had it set up this way for a few months now and have had no breaks in the video feed at any time. I watched Super Bowl without a hick-up in HD and there was a lot of quick breaks between widescreen/letterbox, etc.

I'm guessing I just lucked out with the combination of components.

Unregistered guest
So given that I'm returning this any suggestions on what else to get?

My main requiremetn and why I replaced my Sony 3000ES was that I needed a reciever no deeper than 15".

Most newer recievers are around 17" and then add in some nice component cables, and you are looking at 19+ inches in depth.

Username: Roberthalton

San Francsico, Ca United States

Post Number: 1
registered now.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 826
Component switching, while becoming more common, is still well implemented on mid-high end receivers. Denon and Yamaha jump to mind when considering connectivity.

But that point should be moot, the biggest criteria in a selection should be how it sounds, and I guess if it fits.

You can purchase a component switcher to add more inputs to your tv without having to use the receiver, these can be accessed by many universal remotes. I know I will have to head in this direction as soon as HD-DVD or Blu-ray hits my system. No matter which format wins it looks like it will have to be output in HDMI. At that time I will get a 4 input selector to hook my DVR, DVD, HD-DVD into. When that happens I won't even really need component cables apart from video games.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us