H/K and Marantz

Steve Grall
Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a receiver for HT and music, and have narrowed it to a H/K AVR340 and a Marantz SR5600. In general terms, what are the differences between these two models or brands? Which would you pick?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 420
Steve: Both are excellent brands, both have a very neutral transparent sound. My suggestion, try both with your choice of speakers and from there determine which you prefer.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1131
If your speakers are 8 ohm, its a toss up.
If you like loud and smooth, or if your speakers dip low on impedence, then go with h/k.
I have not used that Marantz, only going with what I know.

Username: Stevo

Margate, FL. USA

Post Number: 7
I have heard the HK AVR650 and Marantz SR8500 with Paradigm Studio 60s. I like the Marantz. But you have to go and here them both with your speakers and then make your decision.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3615
Steve,

I'd say the Marantz are definitely warmer than "neutral."

I'd base your choice on your speakers. If you have bright speakers the Marantz would be the safer bet.

With warm speakers I'd take the HK.

With neutral speakers I'd go with your preference as to "warm" vs. "neutral."

Steve Grall
Unregistered guest
Thank you for the responses so far. Short of basing a decision on which receiver has more of a warm or neutral sound, does either one just flat out sound better -- more dynamics, detail, nuance, etc? Is one more suited to 2-channel music listening?

Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 73
I agree with Edster and add some degrees on... Marantz is more than "warm". And, as far as possible, it is very good in two channel.

I have heard HK only a couple of times. It looked detailed, clean and smooth. The Marantz is probably punchier, has a filling sound but still very refined.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us