Need Your Opinion!

Username: Selbeep

Post Number: 1
In our control room at a manafacturing plant, we had a sound system professionally designed and installed about 3-4 years ago. We have a Technics SA-EX140 receiver, Phoenix Gold SAM-100 and 12 Omage IWRD8 speakers with 18 guage wire, located throughout the room with volume controls.
Since original install, we have had to replace 4 blown transformers in the reciever (the volume control on the receiver is usually set at between 1/2 - 2/3 of max).
I'm no expert, but I think the receiver may be severly "underpowered" for this application which is why the transformer keeps failing. The company that designed this system assures us it is not the equipment but us that are at fault for the failures.
What do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1160
1/2 - 2/3 of max all the time? Even if it doesn't account for the transformer failures, it will account for the output capacitors and transistors ageing before their time. Strictly speaking, it's more usual to run an amp below its halfway point, this seen as the point where most amps begin to struggle, generally speaking.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7310

You haven't said what transformers are failing. Are we talking power transformers inside the receiver, matching 25 or 70 volt distribution transformers or matching Xformers on the speakers?

If the power Xformer is failing, my first suspicion would be line voltage problems. Possibly surges are taking out the transformers.

If there are distribution transformers in the system, then a totally different problem needs to be addressed.

Rather than ask our opinion and put us in the midlle of the discussion, why don't you tell us what the installer claims is "your fault" and what solution they offer to resolve the problem.

Jculo
Unregistered guest
What's the diff between Thx and Sony's Digital cinema sound? Which is better?
ty

jculo
Unregistered guest
Hi which is better? THX or Sony's Digital Cinema Sound? If the 2 were up for comparison in any way.
ty

Username: Selbeep

Post Number: 2
It is the main power transformer that keeps failing and to my knowledge (getting info 3rd hand)the company hasn't stated what we are doing wrong to cause the problem, but are just stating that it couldn't be the equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us