Denon or Yamaha AVR

Username: Pko

Post Number: 1
I am looking for some advice on a home theater system. Money is not an object but want quality state of the art components and the same high end matching speakers. My question is this to all the audioholics who care to give some advice. Denon or Yamaha on the AVR, and what combination of matching speakers. Thanks and I look forward to all responses

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 775
At less than $1200 for a surround receiver I would either get the new Denon AVR2807 or the Pioneer Elite 74TXVi. The PE lists at $1500, but can easily be gotten for less than $1200. The Denon lists at $1100. The 74 has THX Select certification, while the Denon doesn't. They both have upconversion of video to the HDMI output and video switching. They both have XM radio ability, but the 74 has i-link (firewire), while the Denon just has its proprietary Denon-link (which is fine if you have a Denon-Link DVD player). The firewire link allows for all digital connection from dvd players with i-link (Pioneers very good 79avi, for one)and passes formats from CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, etc. directly to the receiver without DAC conversions. The Denon-link does the same, not that the latest iteration has SACD capability. The Denon has Audyssey MultiEQ for speaker balancing and acoustic balancing for up to 8 listening positions. The 74 balances to the main listeners sweet-spot.

For more upscale receivers, the Denon AVR 4806 is very good. It is THX Ultra2 Certified (MSRP $3500), 130 watts/channel, and has i-link, Denon-Link, HDMI, and most every other possibility, including Audyssey MultiEQ.

You need to give the room dimensions and budget for anyone to give meaningful speaker recommendations.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Gregory....I was looking at the 4806...do you think the technology will change much at the beginning of this year...I am in the market right now...the room dimensions are 20 X 20 with vaulted ceiling ranging from 9-15 feet....what would be a good high end speaker match....and thanks again...

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2534
I'm with Greg on this one too, and not much of a Yamaha fan either.

Username: Techdiff

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Samsung 51" DLP HDTV and a YAmaha HTR 5830 reciever and speakers (5.1 surround sound). Anyways, I am having problems getting all the speakers to produce sound at the same time. I can always get my sub to work, but when my center channel speaker is working my main left speaker and right surround sound speaker does not work, when both those speakers work I can't get my center channel speaker and my right speaker and left surround sound speaker does not work. Right now (although I know it could be bad for my speakers) I have 2 speakers running into one port in the back of my receiver to get sound from all my speakers. I have read my manuals up and down and back and forth, but can't seem to pin point where the problem might be. Also, when I have the tv on regular cable channels I can hear my tv speakers, but if I put it on a HDTV channel I cannot hear any sound from the TV itsself. I have bought the higher end speaker wire and also the top component audio and video cables and have them hooked up properly (at least I think I do). If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1069
Brent, you hi-jacked this thread.
Please post a new thread, with more info, on the age of the unit, specifically.

Thanks.
Nuck

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 777
PK- Technology always changes, but the Denon AVR4806 is more prepared for the changes than any other receiver in its price range. It can pass 1080p video, so it is prepared for that. The only significant change that is likely to take place will be new incarnations of HDMI. But since this receiver has i-link, I don't view that as a big deal. Any other changes will likely be able to be software updateable or attached as a separate component. Just get a Denon universal 3910 dvd player or a Pioneer Elite universal 59avi or 79avi and you will be able to get the finest audio that the receiver and your speakers are capable of reproducing, not to mention excellent dvd playback. Also, the i-link (firewire) that these players have will pass all digital formats, so you will be able to play multichannel DVD-A, DVD-V, SACD, and other formats along with 2-channel CD all on one cable. I would just use the HDMI for video linkage--either direct from the dvd player to the HDTV or through the receiver.

I would hold off on getting either HD or Blu-Ray high def dvd players until the format war is somewhat settled and enough titles are available.

What kind of budget do you have for speakers? There are many good speakers available for your room size--either in bookshelf or a floorstanding speaker/bookshelf mix. Much depends on your preference and if you are married, in which case the all-important WAF (wife acceptance factor)often comes into play:-) Some men and women might be willing to get regular speakers for the front but will demand in-wall speakers elsewhere. While in-wall speakers have greatly improved, you still get more bang for your buck with either bookshelf or floor standing speakers.

Post Number: 5
Thanks Gregory....I am looking at the Monitor GR20's with the grlcr and grfx surround. I have a new velodyne dps 12 subwoofer. So this budget for speakers unless you recommend a better match for the Denon 4806. I look forward to your response

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 780
That should be a great match. In my upstairs media room I have 4 Monitor Audio GR10's, their center channel, and 2 HSU VTF-3 subwoofers. Mine are attached to a Pioneer Elite 59TXi, but the Denon 4806 should do nicely. The Denon's Audyssey MultiEQ system should balance out the speakers and the subwoofer. But you may still have to jockey around the subwoofer to find the best spot. Often in a big room a second subwoofer will smooth out any bass anomalies. But starting out with one subwoofer should be fine.

Good luck with assembling your system. I look forward to hearing your assessment of it after you have it installed.

Post Number: 6
So the GR20's with the GRFX or should I go with GR10's for the rear sound. I don't really have the room for a 7.1 system. and don't want speakers crowding the room. I want to be able to listen to music and watch movies. I like the Denon 3910 you suggested for the audio video capabilities. Should I get another velodyne sub so the 2 are compatible or get rid of that and go Monitor. Thanks

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 785
With a good subwoofer you really don't need to spend more than getting the GR10's. You can either go with 2 GR20's and 2 GR10's or 2 GRFX's, in addition to the GR center channel speaker. Or you can go with 4 GR10's with the GR center channel. The GR10's are quite lively and can play quite loud and fill a a large room. The big question is whether you listen to music or watch movies more. The THX people like having indirect sound in the surrounds--such as the GRFX. I listen to music a lot and like the GR10's in the rear surround too. They also do an excellent job on movies, plus there is a certain advantage in having the same speakers in the rear as in the front.

There is no need to get rid of the Velodyne. Try your system after balncing it with just one subwoofer. If you then feel that you might benefit from having a second subwoofer, get another Velodyne. No doubt, I prefer the HSU VTF-3 subwoofer over that Velodyne, but it doesn't pay to lose money on getting rid of a new subwoofer. Even though the VTF-3 in rosewood looks mighty good (besides sounding awfully good) when mixed with the rosenut (rosewood-type) GR finishes.

The Denon 3910 universal player with the Denon 4806 and the Monitor Audio speakers should make a killer combination.

sarandon
Unregistered guest
jexx what's wrong with yamaha?

Username: Littleb

Moorhead, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 3
I can probably add something here. About a year ago I was running a Yamaha HTR-5280 with my Axiom speaker setup. I thought that I could do better than the Yamaha, so after considerable online advice , I ordered a Denon AVR 1083/3803. While I found the presentation of the Yamaha to be on the sharp side, as has been mentioned, I soon realized that the Denon just didn't cut it in the stereo mode. Music, which once sound clear and detailed, with the Yamaha, now sounded dull and lifeless. I no longer listened to Jazz or classical due to this less than sparkling sound. I know amps are supposed to be the same, but I have decided that they definitely don't sound the same. I'll take the sharpness of the Yamaha over the unsatisfying sound of the Denon any day.

Username: Icmenu

Jackson, Tn USA

Post Number: 4
Easy answer for you P K olsen. HARMON KARDON AVR 7300. NO ONES EVEN CLOSE TO QUALITY AND SOUND IN THE PRICE RANGE. MSRP is up there on this unit, however it could be bought for 1200 to 1500. Also, Harmon Kardon itself, posts a factory refurbished AVR 7300 every 24 hours on Ebay. This comes with the complete warranty. They seem to go for around 1000 bucks.. GOOD LUCK

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 656
josh,

for THAT price you are better off going with the following brands:

Pioneer Elite
B&K
Rotel
Adcom
Integra
« Previous Thread Next Thread »