Setting up an LP12

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 181
ca 1984 LP12 / Ittok LVII recently serviced, has new belts mat and rubber bits. Left the main bearing as original, since I felt a cirkus at £375 was a bit much, given the limitations of rest of the system - Cambridge Audio 540 phono preamp with Chord cobra2 interconnects, NAD C352 bi-wire connected to B&W 602 S3's with QED original.

The Linn is sat on a light wooden plinth with four small plastic stud feet with tiny blobs of blu tak, atop a non descript pine case, with the rest of the system on shelves underneath. The CDP and amp are resting on sheets of an islation foam material, Cartridge is a new Goldring 1042.

I listen to mostly rock, blues with a bit of classical now and again. Listening is always done with the lid removed. I have the feeling that there is something missing with the bottom end. Now I expect that CD's particularly those proiduced in the last 5 years have a much wider (lower) FR than vinyl of 10 years + vintage. In a comparison of CD to vinyl of the same recordings, the CD has a slight advantage over vinyl, the rest of the frequency range is big advantage Linn, and of course sounds as though the bands have been practicing more together off vinyl too. I guess the location of the TT is not ideal, but how much benefit would I expect to get by placing on a pukka support? These things are impossible to demo in a shop since I would expect them to room specific. My experience of Cambridge kit is that its also a bit light low down, so perhaps this is also a significant factor.

Either way, having spent £750 or so on the LP12 I want to get the best out of it. After all, half the fun of these things is the tweaking.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7248

With a Linn where and how you place the table is of utmost importance. And where you have it now is about the worst location possible other than on top of a speaker. Get the table onto a decent support table. If you haven't talked to a Linn dealer about these things, it would be well worth the time. If you can find a shop that will give you some tips to try on your own, take it one step at a time. A Linn will change with each change you make, so do only one at a time or else you can't judge each own its own merits.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/frameset.htm

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 183
Thank Jan, I had hoped this was the case. Even in this condition its still sounds great, and its good to know it can get much better.

Bronze Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 21
Hi ca_convert,

my comments are somewhat stale, since is many moons since your original post. But I hope you will get to read, what I have written.

Cannot argue with Jan's advice, I guess the LP12 will sound much better on a decent support.

Looking at your system I cannot help but feel that the bottle neck is the 540 phono stage. I know from personal experience that the G1042 is a lovely cartridge. Any improvement you can make to the phono stage will un-lock a lot of potential from your well chosen TT/arm/cartridge combo.

I know myself all too well, that money's too tight to mention, but even the 640P for 60GBP would be an improvement. Or perhaps you could go the DIY path, and build a better PSU to power your 540P.

I guess when/if you come to upgrade down the track, a Trichord Diablo would be an excellent investment given the quality of your front end.

Enjoy the music, and I agree with you sometimes the journey can be as much fun as the destination...

-all the best
Rav

Bronze Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 22
Oh, one other thing I forget, more along the lines of your original post.

In my younger days, I had much success with my LP12 mounted on a Target wall shelf. The wall shelf was mounted on a solid brick wall, and room had a wooden floor. This was back at my parents place (ah the freedom of it all, and my washing was always clean..)

I think Rega still make a good TT wall shelf which could be a possible option for you also.

cheers
Rav
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us