Onkyo or Denon

Username: Siva_19742002

Post Number: 4
I am planning buy onkyo TX-SR503 or Denon AVR-2805
receiver. please can anyone give your opinion regarding the merits and demerits of these two models.

Anonymous

I have the onkyo with their 6.1 home theater speakers. I used to be very involved with recorded music but gradually lost interest, and this system has re-inspired me. I am listening to all my old albums and CDs fresh. The speakers are lightweight and seem delicate or even flimsy, but the amp is a brick, weighs a ton and that is a very good sign. easy to set up and use, and it has incredible detail to my jaded ears. It runs so hot you must have it totally open to the environment or it will overheat. No cabinet, not even a shelf above it or you will regret it, trust me.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 72
as far as I know, ,the 2805 is in another league.
I prefer the Denon, but the 503 is OK too.

Username: Siva_19742002

Post Number: 5
many of them say that Onkyo TX-SR503 doesn't have video upconversion. What does it actually mean. Whether it matters more.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3562
video upconversion IMO is far less important than sound quality and power, and in those 2 departments I'd expect the Denon to have a clear edge over the Onkyo. Most people connect their DVD player directly to the TV, unless they have a gazillion different video sources.

Anonymous

I am going to have to disagree with Edster922. Onkyo price to performance can't be beat. You will get more for your money going with Onkyo. I myself have a Onkyo TX-SR601. I have been folowing the Onkyo Receiver line for years now. The best think I see to do is if you don't need all the extra goodies like video upconv., XM radio ready receiver etc. just buy a generation older so instead of the latest and greatest 503 model buy a 602 or even a 601 for about the same price. But if your just down to both of those I would go for the Denon. If they are the same price. I don't see how they could be. The 503 should be alot lower. If not it will be soon.

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 172
I recently sold my pioneer elite vsx-54tx receiver and purchased and denon 3805. The sound quality is much clearer, easier to listen to and overall just a lot better than what i had before. I've heard onkyo and i owned a dvd player and a cd player from them; I was never really impressed with it at all.

The cd player wouldn't play cds all the time and sometimes it would just freeze and the dvd player wouldn't play Bourne Supremacy at all and would lock up a lot.

Since im running a full denon component system now, i would say go denon all the way, you'll the sound too!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2533
I say Onkyo.

Their DVD and CD players are a whole different story. Much too bulky and have a great deal of mechanical problems plus leaky caps in the power supplies. The combination dvd+receiver units are even worse. As far as their performance goes, they're very nice, they put out great picture and have clear sound.

Receiver-wise, I've only been amazed by how good Onkyo sounds for the price.

Username: Icmenu

Jackson, Tn USA

Post Number: 5
Denon.. but if your looking at this level of receiver, go with the best. Harmon/Kardon.

Anonymous

at this level...

the best recievers are as follows:

NONE!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us