CD Player for NAD/Paradigm Studio setup?

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 86
I'm finally breaking down and replacing my old Yamaha CDX-710 Natural Sound, I upgraded the rest of my system a year and half ago. Bought a NAD T752 with Paradigm Studio 20v3s speakers up front. It's a nice warm sounding system with some nice detail but I keep thinking todays better built CD players should blow my 15 year old Yamaha CDX710 away (might be even older). I was thinking maybe the NAD C521BEE was a good match but reading up here it seem some guys talk about "at first it sounded thin but after break-in it really took off". I know speakers have a break in period but never heard of a CD player having one. Also in connecting my yamaha only allowed for RCA analog or Digital, I tried both and the yamaha sounds a lot better using the analog rca cables vs the singe digital (RCA Analog gives off a much fuller sound, digital comes across as weak and thin). I am sure the next CD player I buy will have optical also, which would you guys advise in connecting with? Advatages and disadvantages of both? Never dealt with optical connections before, does optical bypass some filters in the cd players or does it do more for the sound then say the rca connections?? Sorry about all the questions, thank you all ahead of time for your help..
PS: another reason I was leaning towards the NAD C521BEE was the price, can pick up a new one for $250, paid that much for my Yamaha years ago lol..

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 87
Been doing some more reading up here and now I am leaning towards the NAD C542, seems to be a little better player plus it has HDCD capability which the C521BEE does not, I'm willing to spend a bit more to get a bit more.. Anyone have this setup (NAD T752 with Paradigm Studio 20v3s speakers and NAD C542)? I also read on where it seems digital and optical connections "bypass" the CD players converters, I'm thinking since I am not using an external converter (and the NAD T752 does not have as good a converter if any as the C542) it is better to let the C542 do the converting.. probably why my old yamaha sounded better through analog connections vs digital out..

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 178
most equipment takes time to burn in, including electronics, some longer than others.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2650
I used to own the C542 and it was a very good CD player. As it should, it works very well with other NAD gear. I was also using Paradigm Studio speakers and they are a good match. Yes, use the analog connection. Enjoy!

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 318
What cdp are you using now Art and is it an improvement on the C542?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2651
I am a using the Audio Refinement CD Complete Alpha. It represents a substantial improvement over the C542. It is fuller sounding with a greater sense of musicality. By that I mean that it seems to get the essential rhythm of music correct. Timbre is also improved. Sorry, at lunch so I really must go.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 606
Art........anything related to YBA is incredible stuff. I listened to one of there high end set ups and I think the CD was well into 8000$ or so and at first I thought it was nuts to even think spending that much for a piece of gear that spins plastic but the WOW factor took over within 5 seconds of the demo and I had to really be held back not to spend that much! Great gear!

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 319
Art, how did you find the Naim CD5i in comparison and did you play either through Nad amplification?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2653
Hi SK,

I loved the Naim CD5i which probably says more about my preferences than anything. It was a bit less detailed than the AR but had just a bit more rhythm. There is a mod available for my AR for $500 which will put the performance of this player out of reach of anything under $2500.

Danman,

I totally agree I am a big YBA fan, great stuff. It appears that the Audio Refinement line will going away in favor of a budget line carrying the YBA name. One of their first products is said to a fabulous integrated which will retail for around $1400-$1500.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us