Component Video Switching

brandon s
Unregistered guest
I've always believed in the past that analog video switching through a receiver was always bad because it created a loss in quality. However, recently i came about some info that stated as long as a receiver's frequency response was a certain MHz, i believe along the lines of 50MHz or so for component video, that there wouldnt be loss. I understand thered have to be some loss no matter what, considering its analog and not being direct, however i was wondering if i could get some insight from anyone who has more info on this for me

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 764
To prevent picture degradation, the entire video circuit besides the switcher should provide Component Video switching with a bandwidth of 100 MHz for the "Y" connection (Pb and Pr require only half the bandwidth). To be sure of essentially no video noise or distortion you should get a receiver with 100 mhz video switching. This will allow clean switching up to 1080p.

Be wary of products claiming HDTV video capability. Some manufacturers reveal only the bandwidth of the switcher, they do not give specifications for the entire video circuit. Ideally, you would want a preamp or receiver to have 1080p video bandwidth, from the switcher to the rest of the circuit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us