Vinyl Record cleaning?

Anonymous

I have some very old records that need a very good deep cleaning. I don't have a lot of money to buy the record cleaning machines. Does any one have any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 169
Goldring Exstatic brush, or the clearaudio carbon brush. Yours both for less than £15 of any one of a dozen sellers on ebay

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 830
If you need deep cleaning, the carbon brush will most likely not be enough. They are great for day to day cleaning before listening, but they aren't designed for scrubbing.

Do you have any used vinyl shops in your neck of the woods? My local shops have cleaning machines and most will clean records for about $1 per record. This may be your best option.

Also, check out this thread -

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/144592.html

Keep in mind that this was before I realised that the local shops cleaned records. Had I know that, I would have brought them their in the first place. Also keep in mind that if you scrub too hard, you could just push the dirt and grime into the grooves.

Good luck...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7132

Place "diy record cleaning" into a search engine.

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 171
I recently acquired a knosti anti static cleaner kit (per HI Fi Choice tope ten accesories) and I am a little disappointed. I tried ot on a range of LP's some I thought beyond repair, which remained thus, to those with light clicks and pops. I was hard pressed to tell the difference after cleaning, certainly not worth the £45 I paid for it (considering that's about 30 LP's of ebay). It's difficult to see the justification of spending over £300 on the Moth cleaners...

Unregistered guest
I know in the old days rubbing alcohol and a soft rag was all that was used. That's all I still use today. They made fancy brushes back then, but they never worked. So it was always back to alcohol. It's quick easy and cheap.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7143

And can destabilize the vinyl. At least cut the alchohol with a generous amount of distilled water.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7144

And don't use rubbing alchohol. It has minerals that will leave a residue on the disc. For the best value for the buck, buy the highest proof vodka you can find.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 674
And don't forget to lick it dry.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 108
you can actualy use dishwashing liquid.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7147

Place "diy record cleaning" into a search engine

Username: Johnnyesox

Glasgow, Strathclyde Scotland

Post Number: 5
I buy loadsa 2nd hand vinyl;Lost in Music,Lost Chord ect Glasgow and I wash 'em thus;clean basin with lukewarm water,3-4 spots of "Morning Fresh"washing up liquid,wipe round the disc with good quality kitchen roll [not the stuff that disintegrates!]let the L.P's drip dry for a couple of minutes dab dry with more kitchen roll...now the tricky bit,put a couple of rings on,on the hob [gas or electric]if you have a hood over the stove even better,get a very clean lint free cloth a dry mega thoroughly over the warm air,dont drop the record though!This works [honest]a very pernickity Lp.12 owner showed me this!I rejuvenated two VERY dirty Tangerine Dream albums this way just before Xmas.

Username: Johnnyesox

Glasgow, Strathclyde Scotland

Post Number: 6
....and they sound BRILL now!

Bronze Member
Username: Orangeclockwork

Post Number: 13
I admit I'm no expert but I use the Isopropyl and Dishwashing soap with distilled water and a very soft fine brush with great results. I have run across several lp's that look near mint and had a lot of noise. The one I'm talking about is Neil Youngs Harvest on Reprise. I finally reluctantly realised that it was probably just a bad pressing. Not too bummed out since I only paid a buck for it. Moral of the story, on some records it just dosen't matter if you clean it on a $2000 machine or by hand, it's still gonna sound like crap.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1025
I knew a guy who swore by urinating on the lp and rinsing with 1 drop carwash soap in a gallon of water.
I saw it work, laff here.
I swear, the before and after were amazing.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7159

Sound kind of golden; did it?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1027
Ran fine vodka through him first!
Gotcha!
No, I swear, it works, kinda icky to flip.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7163

Fine vodka?! That could only come from someone who drinks Glenfiddich.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1035
That's gonna leave a mark.lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us