Need receiver advice

TAD2006
Unregistered guest
Hello all, I am looking to buy a reciever for a home theatre/music setup for my family room which is 16 x 18. I have already listened to the B&W 600 series speakers and I really like the sound, and the 2 receivers that were recommended to me were the Denon AVR-1706 and the Yamaha Rx-V657. I was wondering which one is the better unit and how well they would work with the B&W's. Also, are there better suited recievers out there for these speakers? The speakers are taking up alot of the budget allowance and I would like to stay within the $400-$500 price range for the reciever if possible. Thanks!

Anonymous

well whatever you do don't buy the Panasonic xr55 that this guy Edster922 has been raving about, we all hate it like the plague and some of us have had decades of audio experience like Art and Jan.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 758
I would go with the Yamaha. It is probably their best bang for the buck receiver in their line. The only things it really is missing is HDMI and i-link (firewire). And at this price point, it is unrealistic to get those, unless you get a Panny with HDMI--and the Yamaha is a better receiver anyway.

Anonymous

yeah sure Gregory but do YOU have decades of audio experience like Art and Jan and Nuck and Gvenk et al?

Anonymous

Can you run 7 speakers off 5.1 receiver by splitting the signal? I'm not looking for 7.1 sound but have additional speakers. I'm assuming I can just split the signal going to one speaker into 2 speakers but I'm not certain if it will cause problems.

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 759
Unless you have a powerful amp section and/or sensitive speakers (at least 88db's or higher and 8 ohm), it would probably be better leaving your receiver at 5.1

Too many speakers with too little power will compromise performance of all your speakers.

Username: Tlc2006

Post Number: 3
UPDATE: I went and listened to a Denon 1906 reciever with the 601 s3 speakers and I thought something was alittle off with the sound quality. They had the Denon 3805 in another room with the 600 s3's hooked up and it sounded much better and I noticed that the power output was 110 w. Since I was concerned about the power output I called the a tech rep at B&W and asked about how a 75 to 85 watt range reciever would respond with the 600-601 speakers and he obviously said that the more power you put to them the better they will sound. So I found a Yamaha htr-5890 at Tweeters.com (an authorized online dealer) which has a larger power output so I think I might go that route plus it also has the 2 zone capability I really like. I do have a question for you guys, would you buy this from an authorized dealer to get the warranty or save some bucks with a non- auth dealer? Also, does anyone have this reciever and if so how do you like it? Thanks again for everyones input, it is nice to see people are still willing to help newbies like me out.

Username: Tlc2006

Post Number: 4
FYI: TAD2006 is me, it was my first post b4 registering.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us