CD Player Differences

diz
Unregistered guest
Is there really that much of a difference between CD player sound and detail? I mean if I listen through a $100.00 home VCR/DVD/CD player combo vs. a dedicated $150.00 cd player, is there really a difference in sound quality? If the answer is yes, then how much would I have to spend to get really good sound, and what brands should I look at?
Would $300.00 for a cd player do it?
$400.00?
$500.00?

Also, I've noticed that NAD seems to get a lot of rave reviews in this forum. Do they make a CD player that would be recommended?
Should I stay away from Yamaha?
Sony?
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 628
(I posted this on the other site before you moved the question to this post)

Diz a good CD player that includes good dac's, good transport and power supply will always beat a $100 DVD player. I don't know though that you can get a $150 CD player that has all this unless you go used or refurbished.

Having said this one salesman at a good hi-fi store that I trust once told me that you don't want your CD going through all the processing that a DVD player makes it go through, because you may loose quality and therefore a dedicated CD player is alwasy better than a DVD player. Now I don't know the software programming behind these DVD player, but if I was to program it, I would always check to see if it was a CD playing first and if it was just skip all the DVD processing and go directly to DAC. That makes a lot more sense than what the salesman told me, but I was not going to argue that point with him.

Definitly stay away from Sony. The company is going through a lot of bad management and getting confused with its cross industry decision making and strategies and getting beat by competition at nearly all of them. It is not a good time to buy Sony right now.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 308
In my experience dedicated cd players do reproduce music better than a dvd combination player. That isn't to say that a $900 dvd player won't play cds better than a $100 cd player but you catch my drift. You should be able to get a very good cd player for $500 - above that there are improvements but you're looking at diminishing returns. A $1000 cd player won't sound twice as good as the $500 one but it will be better. As for Nad, they do a cracking cd player in the C542 which is hard to beat for the money. You'd have to spend significantly more in order to improve on it.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 332
NAD C542!!

www.spearitsound.com has a refurb for $379. List is $499. I purchased this same refurbished model from them a few months ago. It works flawlessly, sounds fabulous.

Silver Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 127
Check out a review by ecoustics
https://www.ecoustics.com/home-audio/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us