Which reciever to get for Athena Speakers

Username: Sunchild

Post Number: 1
After way too much research I have finally decided on getting...
Athena F2.2's for my fronts
Athena AS-P6000 sub
Athena AS-C1.2 center
Athena AS B2.2 for my rears

Now the only thing I can't decide on is which reciever to get. I work at Best Buy so it has to be something we carry or Magnolia. I'm leaning towards the Pioneer VSX-1015TX or the VSX-815-K. Would these be a good match or should I go with a lower end Denon? Thanks for the help in advance.

just trying
Unregistered guest
First and foremost, make certain you give the Athena's the proper 100 hour break in. If you do not, they will sound thin and harsh on ANY receiver. With that in mind, don't even look at the lower end Denon's, unless you want clipping. I assure you a low end Denon will fail miserably at powering the Athena's. I like Denon's though, but just trust me, stay away from their low end stuff. The Pioneer should be adequate in terms of power but you may not like the sound so you will have to audition yourself. Stay away from any $200 digital receivers as well....

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4629
My vote goes to the Pioneer.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3518
I probably wouldn't match those Athenas with the $230 Panasonic sa-xr55 digital switching receiver either, unless you were doing mainly HT.

Pioneer 1015 would be my choice, or any Marantz or HK you can find (not sure if either is available through Magnolia).

Post Number: 2
Awesome, I think i'm gonna just gonna go with the pioneer 1015. Thanks for all the advice.

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 169
Yes going with the pioneer would be the best bet because of how warm and neutral pioneer usually is. Im running 54tx elite version on my jbl nortridge speakers and the sound is spectacular!

I use to work at BB too! haha hope you didnt get mauled on black friday.

Post Number: 3
Eric: Tomorrow is my last day with Best Buy and I could not be happier. Black Friday sucked so bad but then again pretty much every day there does.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4667
Black Friday???

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 31
Black Friday is the nickname for the Friday after Thanksgiving, when all the stores have major sales, early bird specials and humongous crowds. I'm sure its a retailers nightmare if you work there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us