Reciever(s) good match with Athenas?

Username: Crashburn

Post Number: 2
The questions I pose to you guys...
I really need some help with specific receivers that are a good match with Athena F2.2 speakers. That's my next purchase after the speakers.
I keep hearing from people over the Internet, that Athena F2's don't match well with mostly Yamaha, while they go decent with H/K's, Denon, Marantz. What type of model(s)?? The instore help didn't help at a local store nearby advising that Yamaha is good for both music and Movies which im looking for and he recommends them even after I told him that I keep hearing Yammies aren't rated good with Athena type speakers.
Im really in the dark here. Im not looking to spend over a grand on a receiver but maybe pump close to 500 if not a little more into it. If im going to end up buying these Athena's (It's going to be pretty hard to convince me not) than I want them to work up to their capability or pretty damn close.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 330
I had a Yamaha RX-595 from the mid 90's. Man, it was awful with the Athenas AS-F2s. Thin and shrill with a recessed midrange. I bought a NAD C370 integrated amp @ 120Wpc, C422 tuner and C542 CD player. Very, very nice sound. Sparkling highs, full and rich with great bass slam. I love it.

I also have the AS-F1s and use a Marantz SR4320 @ 80Wpc. It's a nice combination too. I also have a Rotel RX-1052 @ 100Wpc that works well but is a bit cooler (neutral) in sound. You want to stay with the WARM amps...NAD, Marantz, HK, Denon.

I bought the Marantz as a "Refurb" and saved a lot of money. Check out www.accessories4less.com.

www.JR.com has great prices on the HK 3480 & 3380. I think the HK 3480 @ 120Wpc is the best economical bet for the AS-F2.2s. Circuit City carries HK too.

Remember to let those AS-F2.2s break in! They'll sound bright for a couple weeks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us