Def Tech Set-up Options

Mr. Goodbar
Unregistered guest
I created a post about Def Tech's vs. Paradigm's and got a lot of good feedback about the two. I auditioned both of them and tended to agree with what most people said. The Paradigm's are great for accuracy in music and the Def Tech's give an incredible soundstage. Since I will be using them for primarily home theater movie watching and I like the sound I get from the Bi-polar arrangement, I think I am going to go with the Def Tech's.

My issue now is trying to determine which type of set-up to go with. As I said before, my basement is an "L" shape (30'x20') with the listening area (12'x15') at the corner of the "L". I have a 7' drop panel ceiling and insulated wood panel walls.

My question now is, should I go with BP7006's with the built in subs, or should I go with something like the BP8's and get a separate dedicated sub (i.e.-Velodyne or Supercube)? I also plan on using a Mythos 3 or 7 for the Center and BP2X's for the two rears.

If anyone has any other suggestions on this or other Def Tech configurations that will still give me great performance and keep me below $2000, please let me know. I would appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 211
Whether or not you should get a dedicated sub depends entirely on your preferences and if you think the 7006s can provide enough bass for your needs. Remember that you can set the 7006s so that the side-firing subs either face each other or away from each other. You'll need to experiment to find out what works better. My 7002s are in a similar size/shape area and I found that having the subs facing each other worked better.

As for the other questions, unless you need to wall-mount your center channel, I would opt for the C/L/R 2300 instead of the Mythos centers. It's $100 more than the 3, but if you need to free up cash, you can opt for the BP1.2x for the rears - they'll match the 7006s better anyway, as they have the same drivers. The BP2X has larger drivers than the 7006s.

Username: Hypoxic_ones

Chantilly, Va

Post Number: 2
Apologies -- Late Post -- Just joined. Anyway, I have a similar setup with Def Tech 7002's in a large (18W X 19L X 18 high) room with the subs facing out. My center 2300 actually helps the bass maintain an unreferenced domain across the soundfield, and there is no question that these speakers envelope the listener with ambiance while providing spot-on dialoge. You will NOT be discouraged with Def Tech (though honestly I've never owned Paradigm). I used to have the BP6 as primary front speakers with an older 5.1 system but swapped those out for 7002s and their built-in supercube-ish bass...BIG difference (especially in a larger room -- and especially with movies). I use BP2X for the rear surrounds, and now the BP6 serves as rear-center for tracks that support the 7.1 format. I also have an older PF12 sub that adds to it all, but I don't really need it with the 7002's. It's just a holdover from my earlier BP6 days.

Personal opinion, of course, but the Mythos is not the right match for BiPolar 7000 series Definitive speakers. You will likely find it overwhelmed by the presence of the 7006's with a sound and dialoge that lies behind the soundstage. The 2300 or 2500 is a much better choice even if it is a tad more expensive. The BP2X matches fine but I must agree with Ziggy that a better swap is with the BP1.2 vs the Mythos center...get the cheaper surround and the better center.

Bronze Member
Username: Skasol

Post Number: 37
I am also considering buying either the 7006 or the 7004, my room is not that big and I was wondering if I should invest my money on the bigger ones if I am not going to take advantage of them, but they do sound very nice.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 616
Happy to see this thread as I am looking at the 7006 myself BUT for 90% music. I have only listened to the Power Mnitor 700 and was astonished so how could I compare them to the 7006 at the same price?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us