Receiver for pair of Studio 60's

Username: Mike_t

New Jersey

Post Number: 10
Could someone share some insight in to the below:

I am looking to pair a recevier with Studio 60's. I emailed Outlaw and after explaining I wanted to listen to 2 channel for music/movies until I can complete the rest of the speaker package what do they offer.

Thye came up with a 990/2 2200's (monoblocks for $1,723, or 7125/990 combo. the 7125 offers 7x125, and that combo is 1898.

Considering I want to take my time and match the speakers with simliar company, I am just not ready rto plunk $1700 down to hear these guys (If I get them). Any ideas for under 1k?

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 206
I can tell you from personal experience that Outlaw makes some great products, especially for their price. But I can certainly understand your dilemma with throwing down that much cash. I went through the same thing a few months back, but with a slightly larger budget. You don't mention whether you're eventually going to go 5.1 or 7.1, but either way might I suggest the following:

1) Buy an inexpensive AVR (from Denon, Yamaha or HK) that has the features you need with preamp outputs. I bought an HK AVR235 from Harman Direct on Ebay for $261.

2) Pair that with the Outlaw 7125 or 2 of the 2200s for powering those Studio 60s. If you go with the 2200s, you can add 3 more later if you want to go to 5.1, or add the upcoming replacement for the 755 (7550?) to go to 7.1. You can also use the amps in the AVR to power your surrounds in the short term.

There are good AVRs in the $1k price range, but nothing that will make those Studio 60s sing like a dedicated power amp will.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3481
Mike,

There is some chance that you MIGHT not have to spend that much money to get the sound you want:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E1YPM/002-1299225-8744028?v=glance&n=17228 2&n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

I went from an Onkyo 601 to a Marantz 5400 then added some NAD separates for the mains. A few months later, I bought the Panny on a lark from Amazon thinking that I was just going to try it out and send it back, treating the $15 return shipping fee as a home audition fee.

Now my Marantz is headed to eBay and my NAD separates are running my bedroom system.

I'm not promising that you will have the same results but you really owe it to yourself to give it a listen, $15 is peanuts. I know that Panasonic is hardly a well-respected audiophile brand, but they and TI (the xr55 runs on a TI Equibit chip) have come out with a real paradigm shift in amplification technology, especially at this ridiculously low pricepoint.

Here's somebody who sold their $2500 Rotel 1095 receiver after listening to the $230 Panny:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6492921#post6492921

Other related Panny threads:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

A few caveats---very minor IMHO at this pricepoint: no pre-outs (would negate the whole point of a digital amp after all), subwoofer crossover only down to 80Hz, no room speaker EQ, primitive remote, no digital outputs, no OSD (onscreen display). Also may not be the best choice if you have lousy, overly bright speakers.

Just as some folks still prefer LPs to CDs and tubes to solid state, you might decide to stick with an analog receiver, I'll make no guarantees. But it's definitely worth hearing it to make up your own mind, in any case...it's a whole different animal!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2543
Listen to Ziggy, the result will be far more satisfying.

Bronze Member

New Jersey

Post Number: 11
thx for the reply. I have a space issue (as in too much), my family room is 20x16 18'foot ceiling open behind my couch to a 25x13 kitchn breakfast area. I don't want to go beyond 6.1. I have been told 2 subs by Dr Hsu ("end tables for my sofa"), however Dr. MyWife says no, to both the location and number of "boxes in her room".

Bronze Member

New Jersey

Post Number: 12
Art/Edster: I have seen the debate on the xr-55 across multiple forums and all I can say is at this stage I am coming in blind in terms of knowledge/taste/preference, so an open mind is something I defintely am in tune with.

I mentioned in another post that I may not even go with the studio's, however I am truly looking at balance in terms of performance (70%) vs aethetics (30%). This will be in a family room setting after all. Thanks for everyone's comments, much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3490
Will your wife accept ONE sub next to the sofa, *under* an end table? A downfiring Hsu STF-3 or VTF-3 should work nicely as would an SVS but those things are huge.

Bronze Member

New Jersey

Post Number: 13
I don't have end tables, check out my pics in home theather-just getting started post. I don't think we will have any. Aesthecially the sub will be completely visible from the kitchen/breakfast area, so I am wondering how this would be best wired. MY right side of ther sofa has a half wall, so chances are I can drill down into the basement and run up from the celing, luckily it is unfinished.

This actually gets me to another question, studio 40's vs 60's. I do not have the space to set the 60's off the wall, no more than 16 inches. Too many decisions to make, however not having anything at this point makes this easier than if I already had the equipment but it wouldn't work in the room.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3491
The following is a long but very interesting account of one person's speaker-shopping odyssey. The original poster ordered some Ascends and took them to various stores to directly compare them to other speakers, most of them costing considerably more. One of them was the Studio 40s.

He ended up choosing some Boston Acoustics speakers (which cost about double) but by a narrow margin. Just one guy's experience of course, but informative on how to speaker-shop:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591331&page=1&p p=30

Username: Patriots_fan

Post Number: 4
I own a pair of Paradigm monitor 7's Mike. I have a NAD reciever and think they are great with Paradigm. The studios sound even better than monitors so you should get a quality piece or piece to power them.

Personally if I owned a pair of studio 60's or 100's I'd sooner take a hammer to them then power them with anything made by Denon, Panasonic, Yamaha, Onkyo or Marantz.

If price is an issue and you only have $1000 to spend I would buy a NAD T753. The sound this unit is capable of is better than anything you're going to get from anything for $1000 from Denon, Panasonic, Yamaha, Onkyo or Marantz.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us