Denon 2106 Shutdown Problem

Username: Gbtn

Post Number: 2
Just built a new dedicated home theater. The system has been up and running for about 10 days and no problems. However, just experienced a Denon 2106 receiver shutdown. Been watching TV for awhile and kids brought friends over to check it out. Popped in Star Wars I to watch the Pod racing scene. Highest volume before was about +4.0, but cranked to +8.5. Just as the scene ended, receiver shutdown (went to stand-by mode). I let it cool completely down, but keeps going back to the standby mode.

Equipment List
Denon 2106 Receiver
Belkin PureAV conditioner/ps
Klipsch Reference Series
RF-25 Fronts
RC-25 Center
RW-12 Sub
RCR -- 5 Ceiling Side and Rears
Toshiba Prog Scan DVD
Mits 62" 1080p DLP

The Klipsch were and have been flawless. Was this volume too much for the maybe wimpy 2106? Wonder if I fried it? I checked all speaker connections for loose wire grounds (no banana plugs). I want to run this puppy again and willing to do what it takes (amps, new receiver, etc...).

I appreciate and welcome any and all comments/suggestions.

GB in TN

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 377
Greg: Most likely you have blown the protection fuses inside the receiver, if the unit goes into protection mode immediately upon the power button being pressed. These fuses are used to protect the amplifier circuitry and once they have been compromised the unit will not power on and remain due to the fact that the blown fuses cause a break in the circuit between the power supply and the amplifier(s). If the unit powers on completely but keeps going into protection then you have probably damaged the amplifier or output circuitry, transistors. For the klipsch speakers you mentioned, this unit is probably underpowered. You should not have to turn the volume control into the "+" range to get a loud volume. Once you get into the positive level of volume you are moving into clipping volume levels and the onset of distortion. This is very important to avoid. If the unit is under warranty take it in to be repaired,although the repairer may not cover the charges since this could be considered abusive use. If you must listen to movies at ear shattering levels you may want to scrap the receiver and purchase a strong multichannel amp, which will have much more headroom before clipping.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 273
Check your spekaer cables for fraying. Post above is correct- if you need to go above 0 on a Denon volume control you have the wrong speakers or the wrong receiver. I use a denon and anything above -10 on the Volume dial reaches 100DB in my HT room.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 856
Check your manual and the machine, Greg, I think that there is a mechanical reset that I saw once, but couldnt look it up here.
Like a pop-out circuit breaker that wants to be pushed back in.

H/K used the same

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
That's very interesting Nuck I was not aware that HK or Denon receivers had any type of manually resetable thermal overload protection.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 866
Big 'click' type button on the front of my old avr55, I think I saw the same thing for your Denon, but cant find it...Doh!

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
Nuck I think you are referring to the on/off switch,a longstanding,and useful tradition with HK receivers which will take the unit out of standby and completly disconnect the unit from the AC input. This is great if you are for example going out of town and and won't be using it for awhile.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 867
Eric, the switch popped during a brownout we had here a couple years back, and I didn't know about it.

I called the shop close to me and he directed me to the gfi/breaker on the front of the unit(small button).

I saw a couple of Denon's with breaker switches at the back, near the power in conn.

Maybe this one is the same?

Just Tryi'n

Username: Gbtn

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the comments. Looks like I "juiced her" a little too much. The Denon is covered under warranty, but since it will be in the shop for awhile, I went to a big box and bought a Pioneer VSX-815K for about $280. Sounds ok, but I did drive enough (-5 level) for the "overload" to activate and the system shut down during the same Star Wars scene. It did, however power back up...unlike the Denon. I guess I will look into getting a couple of Crown amps...say the xlr 202 for the fronts and center. Hopefully, this will be enough to get the sound I want. I also play live music, and I guess I just want the extra "umph" in my HT....or maybe I'm a little deaf from the Marshall amp and Les Paul days...

I double checked the Denon 2106 and no such reset button.

I've always liked the Klipsch sound and even had some huge La Scala's back in the college days. I also got the Klipsch due to what I thought as being very efficient and not needing as much wattage to drive the higher levels... any comments on this? Do you think the 202's will do the trick?

Thanks

Greg

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 894
Oh yeah, Greg, Klipch or Cervin Vega's are your cup of meat.

The 202's will serve you well.
Or the Cerwin classic 15's are in line.

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
The Crowns will well assist you on your way to total hearing loss at the expense of sound quality of course, but hey if that is your cup of tea Greg then enjoy! Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us