Convert Coaxial output to RCA input?

Username: Mattaggie

TX USA

Post Number: 1
I just got a new Toshiba HD TV that has a DVD player in it. The only audio output jack is one for coaxial cable. However, my stereo is a 1999 Pioneer that only has 2 RCA input jacks. Is there any way to connect the audio of these two devices?

The Pioneer has an Optical Digital Out connection. I know that there are converters for Coaxial to Optical, but this wouldn't work for me because my Optical Digital is an out right? What is Optical Digital Out used for?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7027

Matt - I've never seen an audio out that is meant to use a coaxial (RG-59?) type cable. Maybe a picture would help. Can you access and link to a site from Toshiba that shows this connection?

The digital output is used to feed the signal to a digital input. It sounds stupid, but that's about the only thing to say. There are various devices which might use the hook up though most do not. For the most part, the digital output is there to fill another spot on the back panel.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 571
Matt, if that Pioneer has an optical output, it should also have at least one optical and one "coaxial" input. The "coax" input is actually a single jack that looks like a RCA jack. Good quality (RG-59/RG-6) cables with RCA-type jacks on both ends are available. You need only one of sufficient length to connect the TV to the receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7033

OK, maybe a little clarification will help here. Is "The only audio output jack is one for coaxial cable", intended to mean a digital output with a single RCA connector? Or, are we talking about a "F-type" connector as would be used with coax (RG-59) antenna cable?

Username: Mattaggie

TX USA

Post Number: 2
In response to Jan Vigne question about the coaxial: I do not know a great deal about the technical language, but I will do my best to describe it. The only audio out for my HDTV is a singular jack that is labeled coaxial. It looks like a slightly smaller RCA jack.

In response to John S: The only input is "aux in" which is two RCA jacks. Maybe it will help to say that it is a Pioneer XR-A880. It is an all-in-one reciever, CD, Cassette, Radio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us