Yamaha receiver volume problem?

newz54
Unregistered guest
I just got an RX-v657 and am wondering if this thing is defective. I have to crank the volume control up to zero before I get any decent sound levels....I don't mean loud either. Does that sound right...what are your volume levels?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2514
What speakers are you using? Yamaha's don't have the most robust power supplies. I have the same receiver and use external amps for the Fronts and center. Sounds very good for a budget receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7015

Art - It's barely a "receiver" if you're not using the main amplifiers.

newz54
Unregistered guest
They are B & W DM603's. No surrounds yet....only stereo mode. What is a normal volume level for Yamaha receivers?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2518
Jan, I am using the amplifier to power the rears. The pre/pro on these budget receivers are usually the weak point not so for the Yamaha. I use it for a pre/pro, FM/AM/XM tuner, and to power the rears. It does an admirable job with all making it a pretty good bargain at under $400.

Bronze Member
Username: Nadz

California

Post Number: 19
As stated above you need more power. Yamahas have less than ideal power supplies. But the Yamahs have outstanding pre-processors. Use the pre-outs and get a nice big used amp. Amps have no moving parts and tend to be safe bets when buying used.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us