$1500 System for Bluegrass and Baroque???

Username: Sherrell

Post Number: 5
I looking to invest $1500 or so in a stereo sysem for Bluegrass and Baroque music listening.

My listening room details:
* Second floor of our home
* 12-ft x 11 ft x 8 ft high
* sheetrock walls
* 5-ft x 3 ft window centered on one side of 12-ft wall
* 5-ft-wide floor-to-cealing closet with fan-fold doors on other side of 12-ft wall (I could loose the doors if needed).
* standard door in one corner of 11-ft wall
* carpeted floor

Input will be CD and iPod.

I'm considering the Odyssey "$1500 System" consisting of the Etesian pre-amp, Khartago stereo amp, Epiphony speakers, and Groneberg Series 3 interconnectes and cables. My concern is that the Epiphony's won't have sufficient base response for the 'standup base" lines in the Bluegrass I listen to most. Have wondered whether the Polk RTi8 or RTi10, coupled with the same pre-amp/amp would do a better job for me, but those these would push the system cost above $1500.

Any ideas or comments?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3449
This is what I'd get:

Ascend 340s with stands and Hsu STF-3 subwoofer, $1300 shipped from ascendacoustics.com

Panasonic sa-xr55, $230 shipped from amazon.com

The digital switching Panny is a 7.1 receiver but has a great bi-amping option for stereo listening which uses a total of 6 amps to run the mains, and the 340s are bi-ampable with dual binding posts. I currently have this combo and love it, the clarity, smoothness and imaging are amazing.

The STF-3 will give you all the bass you want and more. If you are willing to wait until mid January, Ascend will start shipping the new 340 SE which has different drivers and tweeter and an additional 10Hz of bass extension. In fact with the new SE series you might find that you won't even need a sub.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2490
Stick with the Odyssey gear and add a quality subwoofer later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us