Building center channel

Username: Fusseli

Post Number: 1
i have been slowly changing paths of my home audio over to my home theater system. i have phased out computer speakers and run everything from my comp (audigy2 zs) to my receiver now (denon avr-685) on 6.1. i have a modest set of speakers pieced together from a pair of old Fisher towers, to an old Bose monitor as my center, and 3 acoustic authority speakers as my rears. ive been looking at upgrading speakers but i dont like the prices for quality material in home theater equipment; stuff gets expensive really fast.
my solution is to build my speakers, one by one per channel. i am starting with the center, as my bose monitor only has 1 full-range speaker i think replacing it would make the biggest improvment for my system right now.

i have bought all parts and am about half way through consruction of the speaker. it is 2-way with 2 woofers and one tweeter, 1.25cuft box vented at 46hz. i designed the box in winisd pro, so i have the flattest response possible :smile: the next step in my plan is to do the surrounds and eventually towers, but towers will cost some $$ and probably wont be until next summer :frown:

the goal of the project is to take the time and craft a high-quality product at a fraction of the cost of buying a retail equivelent. the center will cost about 135$ and will hopefully be on-par with somehting in the 200$+ range.

center channel parts list:
2x Dayton Audio 6" Reference Series Woofers - 28$ each
1x Dayton Audio 1" Euro Series textile dome tweeter - 20$
2-way Dayton 2.5khz crossover - 20$ (bought one instead of crafting my own :wink:-)
Gold Plated Speaker terminal - 3$
1/2" high-density fiber board, 2'x4' - 6$
silicon caulk - 5$
wood glue - 6$
one roll black vinyl self adhesive - 15$

note- the speaker will weigh at probably around 30lbs, which is pretty damn heavy, the speakers alone are about 10.5lbs total, and the HDF board is easily twice that.

[URL=http://www.partsexpress.com/]www.partsexpress.com[/URL]

Username: Fusseli

Post Number: 3
any comments/suggestions? please..?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7020

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/184621.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts