Help me pick speakers!

Anonymous

Right now i have custom built fronts. They are raw, loud and can handle anything i put them through. but, they are not quite as crisp as i would like. I listen to loud rock music, rap music, and acoustic type music. I play alot of xbox 360 and quite a few DVD concert type dvds. they range from...the eagles, to coldplay, to ACDC to Slipknot.
now heres the dilemma. I have an Infinity center channel and paradigm rears. I hear nothing but good things about paradigm, and i know Infinity is really high quality but very pricey.
What kind of towers can you guys suggest? I have an HK 330 Receiver. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 71
the first question people will ask you

What size of room? and what price range are you looking at?

Anonymous

hmm...room is somewhat small. I don't want to spend very much over $1000.

thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 756
You really need to timbre match your fronts and your center if at all possible so that would lead you to look at Infinitys and keep the Paradigms as rears.

However, if you keep listening to "raw, loud" music by the time you get to be my age, it won't matter what speakers you have because you won't be able to hear them very well anyway. From one who's been there. Good luck, Dave.

Anonymous

Whats a good set of Infinity's that are relatively affordable? Would they sound good with an HK and loud music?

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 61
Which infinity are you hearing that is high quality? Hopefully your talking about older models, otherwise someone is feeding you nonsense. You may want to get paradigm for FR, and Center, and burn the infinity center you have now. JMO.

Anonymous

Infinity isnt' good? hmm...well...what's a good set of Paradigm fronts and center?

Anonymous

Infinity seems to be having a Manufacturers promotion. Check on-line websites for the deals (free pair of Primus 150's for a $400 purchase, and all speakers are on sale.)

I just bought a full surround set as a present to a nephew, 4 Primus 150's, an MC25 center and PS10 sub, less than $500. I will buy a set for my daughter's birthday next week, but probably upgrade the front 2 to the Infinity Beta's.

Maybe not high end audiophile quality, but superb sound for the price. Anybody know of better quality for the price, please answer, this is a serious question?

My dilema is what receiver to power it. Marantz, Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo all have $300 units that per specs are equal, and the HK a bit more expensive, but from buying online I can't make a decision. (Budget of less than $1000.)

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1347
The Infinity Primus line are good budget speakers and they compete well in their class,but beyond their budget line Infinity leaves alot to be desired in their upper lines.Personal I dont think they have made a impressive midpriced line since the legendary Overture line about 10 years ago.Do they have the ability to make a good speaker yeah,they were at the forfront of american speaker engineering, they have been building speakers since the 50s and 60s its a matter of them being under Harmon International,who has to much on their plate and Revel is the only one of their speaker companies that are highly rated and very good.Infinty and JBL have taken a hit on their herritage since they joined H.I.,and in my view a travesty to piss away such legendary monikers,that had a prefound impact on American speaker building,that translated world wide.So if you want really good performance look elsewhere,because Infinity is clearly not the company they used to be.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 348
If INFINITY is your choice, you can get a great deal on factory refurbished speakers at HARMANs outlet store on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_Infinity-Home-Audio_ W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfti dZ2QQtZkm

The BETAs are a good deal at the prices they're going for.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 187
For the money, the Infinity Primus series is hard to beat and would be an excellent match for you HK reciever. Read the review on the Primus speakers from Stereophile magazine. I think that they are a recommended budget component. Want to spend more money? Go for the Paradigms and you will get marginally better sound. Will it be worth the additional cost? Only your ears will be able to answer that question. Like your music loud and raw do you? I would also recommend auditioning some Klipsch Reference series speakers. They are also an excellent match with the H/K - and I speak from experience. Never buy from anyplace that doesn't have a 30 day return policy. I have taken back 4 receivers and probably 6 sets of speakers before I found the right sound for me (Denon 3805 and Axiom M22ti's).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us