Speaker placement?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 461
SO i finally got my 5.1 Athena setup put together today. It sounds amazing. Its kinda wierd when i stand up at the front of my couch the bass coming from the AS-F2s is amazing (plenty without a subwoofer), but the second i sit down the bass almost dissapears. I tried moving things around but i get the same result. THe only two things i can think of are raising my couch or leaning the speakers forward to shoot the bass lower (both of which are NOT happening). what would you guys recommend- i want the bass to shoot about a foot lower, is this possible, any tricks?
thanks everybody, if nothing else ill just watch movies standing lol

just trying
Unregistered guest
Yea these things are a real pain getting adjusted. I had a similar problem so I just added some furniture next to each speaker and that worked for me. I think, keyword think, that in your case you don't have a back wall close enough to your sitting area, but in some cases that could be the actual problem. Like in my case my room is perfectly squared so the bass was just going everywhere and it really was canceling out. I really do hope you luck because I know how frustrating this can be.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6950

Have you read any articles on subwoofer placement?

Silver Member

Post Number: 464
i dont have a sub so im only concerned with my two front speakers, which always go in the same place. ill just have to mess with them.

Silver Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 120
I am a little confused you said you had a 5.1 setup then you said you don't have a sub? 5.1 means 5 speakers and a sub.

The problem is that your bass is cancleing it's self out. You are getting the tone coming from both your speakers and reflections from your room, and they are not what you want at your seating position. You are going to want to try different positions for the speakers/seats. You also will want too look at acoustic pannels, or bass traps.( you should do something with room acoustics no matter what, it will help the sound quite a bit.)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6963

OK, have you read any articles on speaker placement? On room response?

It sounds as if the problem is a standing wave in your room. Or, as Paul has stated, the bass is cancelling itself out.

The wavelength of a signal at 100Hz is more than 11' peak to peak. (http://www.maximacar.com/system_design2.htm) This dimensional problem of fitting wavelengths longer than the dimensions of the room is what creates room nodes and bass problems.

Bass does not travel in such a small area that it can be "adjusted" up or down by 1' increments. It sounds more like you have room problems that need to be adressed. In this case the simplest solution is to move your seating area forward (or back) to a location where the bass signals are not cancelling each other.

Silver Member

Post Number: 466
i have 5 speakers, no sub though. i am holding off getting a sub until i have my own place (im in a quad right now and would get too many noise complaints.) The bass about two feet in front of my speakers is great, then i loose it for about 15 feet, then is great again from 15-25 feet where my dining room wall is. i dont have much couch movement- closer will be too close since i have a 52" tv and further back ill be sitting in my dining room. should ibring my fronts closer to me or will that cancel the center speaker out? or i can just mess with their directional angles.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6990

You would seem to be describing a standing wave problem. Trying different speaker placement will affect this slightly but the problem will remain the dimensions of the room and that will always dictate where the room problems exist. Normally the best solution is to work the system from a different wall of the room. Is this possible?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us