McIntosh: Too laid back or just right?

Nate Winters
Unregistered guest
I've listened to Macs for many years and seem to remember them being almost too warm and not as revealing as other amps. Anyone else feel this way?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6939

In general, no. I have owned and sold Mac for many years. My tube amps from the 1960's are more revealing than my solid state integrated from the 1980's. Both, however, offer what I naturally consider to be excellent sound far better than the majority of products I have heard or sold. There are components which have more "detail" to present to your ears. But, in general, those amps seldom are as listenable as the Macs and offer what I consider "hifi" sound. McIntosh bass is not a typical "high end" amplifier's bass response but suits me as being more realistic compared to what I hear from live musicians making real music and less designed to be impressive than most other amps. There is no zing to the top end of a Mac amp. There are other amps which will provide some excitement should that be your desire. It's not mine; I prefer to have the music provide the excitement and not the equipment.

Just to note, and you can make of it what you wish, the MC-275 tube amp that was designed in the early 1960's has been reissued as an almost identical design to the original and currently occupies a spot on Stereophile's Class A Recommended Components list.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2462
"I've listened to Macs for many years and seem to remember them being almost too warm and not as revealing as other amps. Anyone else feel this way?"

NO!

BTW Jan have you read this months "Absolute Sound". There is an article with MC-275 and a vintage Quad amp reissue.

When at last my system is all Mac, I will know that I have died and gone to heaven.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 817
The reason why I play the lottery -

McIntosh C2200 Tube Pre-amp
McIntosh MC 602 Power Amp
McIntosh MCD 1000 Transport
McIntosh MDA 1000 DAC
Sonus Faber Stradivari Speakers

I'm going to win the Power Ball one of these days...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us