How Low Should A Bookshelf Speaker Go?

Notabasshead
Unregistered guest
Not into home theater so this is from a purely musical standpoint. Is there an approximate cutoff that separates a true bookshelf speaker from one definitely designed for use with a sub? I have heard (and liked) both the Ascend 170 and the Axiom M22ti, but neither ranks as a TRUE bookshelf speaker to me because of their lack of bass. Just curious...

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 45
just for your info, most floorstanding speakers dont have the lower frequencies that a sub will produce.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6912

I have no idea what a "True Bookshelf" speaker is. How do you make that assessment? In reality, most speakers of any quality are not meant to be placed in a bookshelf, if you want the best sound they can produce.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6913

http://www.psbspeakers.com/audioTopics.php?fpId=8&page_num=2&start=8

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 675
For most music applications, low frequency response to 40Hz is enough whether bookshelf or otherwise. Not all, mind you, but most.
I've never considered the term "true bookshelf" to be an indication of bass response but more the amount of sound degradation from close placement to a wall in addition to compact size.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1346
Bass should never be measured by Qaunity,but by Qaulity,if you cant hear the different note on a Doulble Bass,bass synth,or the bottom notes of piano correctlly your bass qaulity is inferior wether you have a bookshelf or a floorstander.The name isnt bookshelf its actually Standmounter,in most other parts of the world the real name is used to describe a so called bookshelf,which is by the way a horrible way to place a speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 676
Like other audio terms, "bookshelf" doesn't mean what it should.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us