System for $600

Username: Thomasassault

Post Number: 1
I am interested in purchasing a two speakers and a receiver for approx $600. I would prefer floor standing speakers. I will use this system for music and not movies. I mostly listen to Hip-hop and I am likely to use this system to play music at parties.

Anonymous

Would you ever be looking to upgrade this to a 5 channel system, or will it be strictly a 2 channel system (so we know what to recommend for the receiver).

Post Number: 2
I would have no particular desire to upgrade to a 5 channel system.

Anonymous

Floorstanders I would consider would be the Athena F2.2 for 399.95 from audioadvisor.com or the Fluance SV-10 for 299.99 from fluance.com. As far as amplification I would try to stick with the Harman Kardon HK3380 for 219.99 from jr.com.

Post Number: 3
Would the HK3380 have enough power for the F2.2s or SV-10s?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4488
Yes it would have ample power.

Post Number: 4
Excellent, thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3387
Nick,

I don't iknow where you're looking but onecall.com has the HK 3480 for $268 shipped and jr.com has the 3380 for $220 shipped. Methinks the extra $48 is worth it for the 50% increase in power, especially for running big floorstanders like the F2.2s.

Post Number: 5
A 50% power increase does seem quite worth an extra $50. Thanks.

Post Number: 6
I've read that the HK 3480 has slightly weak bass. If I do not plan to purchase a subwoofer, would the Onkyo TX-8511 be a preferable reciever?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3403
I would stick with the HK. I doubt you'll have any problems getting sufficient bass with the F2.2s.

Bronze Member
Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 37
Nick I would highly reconsider the floorstander idea because you are NOT going to get the kind of bass output you will want for hip hop to sound right. I would look more toward getting some bookshelf speakers that can be placed against a wall on top of a shelf or something like the Polk RTi series (4 or 6) and then add the Parts Express Dayton 12" subwoofer (or 10" if you cant afford the 12"). This will definitely get you the results you're looking to achieve.

I just dont see floorstanders in that price bracket giving you the kick you're going to want for your parties.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us