Onkyo TXNR900 vs. NAD T762

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 33
Are there any opinions out there on the Onkyo TXNR900? I am looking for a receiver that explicitly states that it can handle 4 ohms, and supposedly the Onkyo says it can, and the NAD T752, T762, ect. do. I have heard alot of complaints about NAD--Might the Onkyo be better?

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 35
I am now really interested in the Onkyo TXNR900!! I have seen some good deals on it. Anybody know anything about it? Does the 4 ohm setting (set in on-screen menu) clip the power or just increase cooling?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 535
Sean:

Yes, there are good deals out there on the Onkyo TX-SR900, but with good reason:

1. It's a dog;
2. It has been replacedby the 901 (which is also a dog, IMHO).

For evidence, I would point you to the Bench Test of the Onkyo 900 published by Sound & Vision last June, I believe (I know I have that around here somewhere). Although rated at 125 wpc x 7, Sound & Vision could not get it ro produce more than 54 wpc into 5 channels. S & V suggested that the limiting factor was the receiver's thermal protection circuitry, rather than the power supply (the usual culprit). Now, there has been some discussion on this board about whether this is less damning, but my position has always been that it is still only 54 wpc, regardless of the source of the problem. So, if you look at it as buying a 50 wpc HT receiver, and price it accordingly, you will see that it is still pretty expensive. And all of this is merely what is tested and reported--it doesn't account for the thin and lifeless sound at all volumes. So, you see why I call it a "dog."

BTW, the fact that the problem lies in the thermal protection circuitry bodes ill for driving a 4 ohm speaker. If it is shutting down that early with an 8 ohm load, I suspect it will shut down even earlier with a 4 ohm load, which is clearly more stressful to the receiver.

I suggest you try to hear one side by side with an NAD T763--you won't believe the difference in the sound quality as the NAD would blow the Onkyo away. I don't say that just as an NAD owner, but when I first went shopping for a HT receiver 2 years ago, I had read all the magazines and Onkyo seemed to be getting a lot of play, so I had the impression that they must be pretty good. Then I went and listened to several Onkyos, but ended up buying a Denon 3803, which sounded much better than the onkyos I heard. It was only after I purchased my Denon that I discovered NAD, which was even better.

If you are simply looking for a great deal on good sound, consider getting the NAD T762. There are several dealers on the interenet that are still selling them out for about $799-899 (e.g., http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm). I also suggest the closeout of the T752 for $549.00 from DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com). They will handle a 4 ohm load with ease.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 37
Yesterday, I was all set on buying the NAD T762, but reading all of the negative feedback about its problems, I was getting scared away. I am almost ready to just buy an Adcom 5 channel amp and get the cheapest receiver I can find with pre-outs. Do you think I should ignore the bad press about the NAD T762?

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 45
I have a T762 installed within my current setup, and it works flawlessly! It doesn't mean that all T762's are bad, we only hear about the bad units! Mine is installed with firmware version 1.18 and it works fine! At the current price, I think you won't find any receiver that can match it power/flexibility/user friendly etc ! I would surely try and audition this model until its available!

Bronze Member
Username: Kendrid

Post Number: 17
Sean R. Roberts - If you buy NAD be sure you are buying from an authorized dealer just in case you do have issues.

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 39
I am looking at NAD dealers. What is this issue with the "latest firmware"?

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 299
Sean,

If it aint broke, don't fix it. My T762 does NOT have the latest firmware, and it works fine. If you get a unit and it doesn't have the latest firmware, don't fret. If it is working fine, leave it alone. However, if you do have problems with it, the problems MAY be solved with a firmware upgrade. If you are buying a NIB T762, it will likely already have the latest version. I can't imagine that there are many new 762's left out there in the first place...and any that are will probably have been some of the last produced and will thus likely have the last firmware edition.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us