Connecting turntable to Pioneer DSX-510

Unregistered guest
All,

I am trying to connect an older (crappy?) Technics SL-D20 turntable to my (crappy?) Pioneer DSX-510 receiver. After reading several posts on these excellent boards, I now suspect I'm going to need a phono preamp. Correct? If so, where in the h*ll do I plug THAT in?

The turntable works and I can hear a faint sound from the cartridge when in use. I can get some sound (... again crappy) from the system but have to turn up the receiver to max. I've grounded the turntable to one of the receiver's chasis screws and have plugged its RCA's into the VCR/DVR input on the receiver.

Any help would be most appreciated by this hopeless newbie whose vinyl going back 30 years sits mute.

Thanks in advance.

Ric.

p.s. I live in Canada and do have access to a couple of Best Buys.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 809
You most likely do need a phono pre-amp. The phono pre-amp should have either RCA outs or output interconnects hard wired to it. They would plug into any input on your receiver. Basically, the phono pre-amp is turning a phono signal into a line level signal. Regardless of what the input on the receiver is labeled, you can use any one of them.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Stu!

I'm planning to pick up a phono preamp today and install it.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.

Ric.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us