Help me with frequency responce and speaker choice!

Username: Captain_croke

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

I have a not so sweet receiver (out of the box surround sound style) that has a frequency responce of 100hz - 20khz / -3db. It pushes 85 watts per channel RMS and has a signal-to-noise ratio of >65 db (CCIR). I was looking at a pair of bookshelfs I planned on using as replacement fronts for a 5.1 surround system in a small room, and for listening to music. The specs on the bookshelfs are 90db sensitivity and 60hz - 20khz. Will the not so hot response of the receiver cause a loss of sound quality with these speakers? is this a decent match? HELP ME PLEASE! YOU ALL SEEM SMART!!!

Post Number: 2
I neglected to mention that the bookshelfs I was looking at have a 125 watt power capability.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6887

There is no information you have provided us that will tell us whether the combination will sound decent. Give it a try a decide for yourself what you like.

Post Number: 4
Well then what information would you need?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 791
The question is can the receiver make anything but the included speakers sound good.

I highly doubt the receiver can push 85 watts per channel, even if it's into freq. higher than 100Hz. HTIB systems routinely test the channels one at a time into a 1 KHz test tone. The total power of the receiver is prob 85W.

Maybe they'll sound good to you, maybe not. Buying a new receiver will negate the question and avoid possibly damaging any new speakers you do buy by clipping the HTIB receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us