For under 1200 what reciever would you buy ?

Username: Gordo_in_ns

Post Number: 7
the reciever has to be able to run 4ohm mains. ive got the axiom epic 80 surround speaker package. i thought i had my mind made up, but there is so much info i need to learn. if anyone has an opinion, it would be greatly appreciated

Silver Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 111
I would go with the HK435, it has good features such as auto room eq and logic 7.

How big is your room, what else will you be hooking up to the receiver?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 224
An Arcam AVR 100 is a consideration.

Post Number: 10
the room is 25 x18 . i will be hooking up b speakers and some outdoor ones too. i have a splitter downstairs for that. ive never heard of arcam where can you get one? im in Nova Scotia so sometimes it is difficult to get higher end stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 226
simply plug into any search engine, go to the rcam website, and look for dealer locations near you. Or go to Audiogon.com and read all about them and anything else you might consider.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
thanks guys, much appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2426
Yamaha RX-V2600. Sounds great and has all the bells and whistles.

valvaholic
Unregistered guest
Art:
Would you know how the 2600 differs from the 1600, besides video scaling and power output?

Same pre-amp and power-amps? Better components in the 2600?? TIA

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 158
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV all the way, great eq, full 7.1/ biampable with great synergy and soundscape with the right speakers.

Lots of inputs, easy remote and has a ton of adjustments to be made on the OSD screen.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 407
with axion (bright speakers IMHO) I would second the pioneer elite reciever, which has a warm, mellow sound that will compliment those tweeters well.

Loris
Unregistered guest
another vote for the Elite. I love mine and the sound is incredible with my Paradigms. I watched Collateral last week for the first time with this reciever and the sound was stunning !

Bronze Member
Username: Jake272727

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 62
you could get a b stock avr 7300 for right about there

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4473
I would recommend this one

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

the Outlaw Audio Model 1070 receiver

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
anyone have an opinion on the denon avr 3806, i saw one today for 1099 cdn at a local shop. or should i go with the h/k avr430 for 799 cdn
outlaw looks good but ive never seen one.
ive got one day left and there are two shops left to look at.i might have to wait till sat if you guys have any other suggestions.i will check out the yamaha,the pioneer and the panasonic. and what is a b stock, is that refurbished? thanks again. still open for suggestions remember it has to be able to push 4 ohms .

Silver Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 113
I would strongly recomend you try out as many as you can. You might find some that sound much better than others or features that you like much more.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 793
Berny - how would you consider the Outlaw products to sound? Warm, neutral, bright? I'm thinking strongly of purchasing a couple of their monoblocks to power my Polks.

valvaholic
Unregistered guest
Berny:
Yeah, have you heard the Outlaw? Compared it to the big players at that price point??

That thing's beautiful!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4479
Kano and valvaholic,
I am not to keen on describing the sound of the Outlaws but I am certain that it is neither shrill nor muted. I guess that would fall into the neutral category:-)

The following statement is from my older post:

"I have compared them with Arcam and NAD. The only thing that NAD has to offer in their line-up was the T973, which I compared to the 7100. Probably not a fair comparison as the NAD is beastlier than the Outlaw. I matched it with some Axiom M60 and Athena ASF-2. I checked it out in stereo using a Carver HR-722 receiver ( yeah, I know those are 7 channel amps). I tried hard to perceive a sound difference but I couldn't, must be the Carver after all it is the one feeding the information to the amps.

I also used a Kenwood KRF-X9070D (please hold your comments)for the 7 channel eval. Again, no perceivable difference, but my wife and kids seem to prefer the sound coming from the Outlaws. They seem to have the champagne ears and I have rotgut hearing.

As far as the mono-blocks, I bought them blind after loving the 7100...the only thing I saw from Arcam was the P1 and it was too much money, I did not even bother. I couldn't get hold of any Rotels so I can't make a comment on those.

I definitely prefer the monoblocks compared to the 7100. They seem more efficient and it brings out the sound a lot more than the 7100. The bass is a lot fuller (even without the subwoofer) on the Athenas and the M80s.

My wife, who is very particular about how her music sounds, love the way the mono-blocks push out the guitar strings and the violas. She claims it really "rounds out" the strings! She is actually the first in line to try out the new sound every time I fiddle around with the stereos. Her test disc would be a DVD by James Taylor - Live at the Beacon Theater. Her standard would be on how she remembers James Taylor at that particular concert. She loves the way his voice and guitar sounds so real and makes her feel like she was back in that concert."

The Outlaw Audio monoblocks are currently mated to the Kenwood. We cannot yet find a reason to get rid of it (perhaps when the Outlaw 990 comes in). My wife's new found speakers are the Sonus Faber Cremona coupled to the Outlaw Kenwood combo.

We also tried the NAD 773, but there was an annoying hiss that was persistent in all the speakers. We'll most likely get rid of that before we get rid of the Kenwood.

Again keep in mind that my tastes are more of the layperson than that of a self proclaimed audiophile. I buy my gear based on the sound that I like and not because it received great reviews.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
what do you do if you cant try out the reciever with your own speakers, are there ones that sound similar to the axiom epic 80 or should i ask them to hook up any 4 ohm speakers. berny , i will look for an outlaw to try as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
done, bought h/k 430 for799 cdn approx 660 american. thanks everone

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 196
I'll also throw in my 2 cents on the Outlaw products... great stuff for the money. The sound is definitely more neutral than anything, maybe ever-so-slightly bright, but most definitely not fatiguing/annoying. I'm using the 750 (5x200W, all channels driven, high current) amp behind an HK AVR235 and I love it. The DefTech towers it's powering love it too!

I have no direct experience with the 1070 receiver (or the new 970/7075 combo - separates for $1299!!), but I have every reason to believe the performance/dollar ratio is outstanding.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
looks like Paul S won that round.
now should i buy a hd dvd player with the extra bucks? i have a sony 5dvd changer now (progressive scan) and a 42 wega lcd tv. will it make much difference if its hd or upscale?
i know i should post this separately but yall have been very helpful
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us