Low-end HT Receiver/Speaker suggestions

Username: Garamach

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a fairly low-end HT system. My usage pattern is somewhat 75% music and 25% movies. As of now, I have narrowed down my receiver choices to Onkyo SR573/Yamaha HTR5840/Yamaha RX-V557. As for the speakers, I'm not sure if there is such thing as certain speakers that match well with certain receivers. For now I'm looking at a low-end (< $400) Polk/Klipsch/Infinity/Yamaha 5.1 speaker sets.

Any suggestions/recommendations are highly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on good online sites are welcome..I'm currently browsing crutchfield and J&R..

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2418
If you use either Onkyo or Yamaha make sure you buy efficient speakers (89db or better). They have rather small power supplies and need to either drive efficient speakers or be used with an external power amp. Both sound good for the money provided you follow those 2 rules.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3337
GR,

if you choose the Onkyo, the Athena B1s and C1s would go very nicely with it, look at audioadvisor.com --- $300 shipped for 5 speakers.

For the Yamahas I'd choose a warmer speaker like Wharfedale Diamond 8.1/8.2, audioadvisor.com also carries those but you may be able to find them cheaper at amazon.com or buy.com

If you only have $400 to spend I'd just get a good pair of bookshelves in that price range that can go down to at least 50Hz for now so they can be passable without a sub, and build your system slowly from there...especially since you say you're a 75% music listener. None of those low-end 5.1 systems will do adequate for music.

Either Yammie would probably go well with the Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 ($200 shipped from amazon.com) and you can add a cheap Dayton 10" sub from partsexpress.com for HT for just $120 shipped if you want.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3338
PS. Of course if you are willing to try out the digital Panny xr55, that would completely change your budget allocation...you could spend more on speakers and sub.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Art and Edster!

Not being much of an audiophile, I actually hadn't heard about Wharfdale speakers. Will look around for that now. I was sort of looking at Klipsch Promedia Ultra and Infinity Primus Pack (which doesn't have the sub). Didn't get the dB specs for Infinity, but Klipsch set seemed to handle upto 115 dB.

As for my receiver choice, I chose Onkyo based mainly on their "ease of use and set-up" and also b'cos crutchfield was throwing in an iPod dock free with the system..After reading thru few posts, I came to realize that people seem to favor Yamaha for music and Denon/Marantz/Elite for more HT use, i.e. surround sound effect. Not sure if that plays into my case, since my speakers are fairly low-end. Any thoughts on that??

Thanks!

Post Number: 3
OK, here's what I've "almost" settled on:

Marantz SR4600 with the Athena AS-B1 front and rear pair & AS-C1 center speaker. Going by various posts in various forums, Marantz seems to be a "warm" receiver, which makes it a good fit for the Athena speakers (90 dB sensitivity). Any feedback/comments welcome..

Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3345
Yep, Marantz would go very well with Athenas. How much will the 4600 cost you?

If you are willing to buy refurb, I'll bet you would be able to land a 5500 or above model for what a brick and mortar store will charge you for a new 4600:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category/AVReceiver
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us