NAD T773 Converted to 220v - no hiss or hummm

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you - as I own NAD T773 unit and had many issues with it, I moved back to Europe and converted it from 110v to 220v and "suddenly" all humm and hiss noise were disappeared. Not sure why, but now I enjoy the system...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3333
I'll keep that in mind next time I go overseas. Is there a 110v/220v switch on the back, or did you have to get an electrician to open it up and convert it?

Bronze Member
Username: Mitchbd

Post Number: 81
Good to know... now I all need to do is get the 220v 50Hz AC feed! :-) I'm still having that love/hate relationship with my 773! buzzzzz...

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 524
Some of you folks may have a 220V outlet in your house. Some of the washer/dryer units and some electric ranges use 220. That is if the conversion is easy enough as Edster asked.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 690
The conversion is done at the power in with a reversable plug, or switch.
This converts 220-230 to 110-120, through a simple conversion, not involving the sound circuits at all, I believe.

I cannot see it being of much difference here, but, of course, Im not there, either.

Most pieces of equipment have this voltage switch, bringing 230 to 110 via a XO rated to max power, built into the power supply with a tap.

Gvenk
Unregistered guest
Could it be the change from 60hz to 50hz in the power be a possible explanation rather than the voltage?

Just a theory... assuming the hum/hiss problem is with some kind of shielding/resonance issue related to the power supply and affected by the frequency.

Were these units designed in North America or UK?

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 693
All North America is 60 Hz, either 120 or 230v.
Overseas is 50cycle.

Daniel Benatar
Unregistered guest
I have asked the technician, and my understanding is that the he
just re connected the wire at the back of the receiver at the transformator as this transformator support 110v/60Hz and 220v/50Hz.

Daniel

Bronze Member
Username: Paulof

Portugal

Post Number: 35
I'm from Portugal, we use 220 and I have the same issue (hum/hiss) on my 763 so it's not related to the voltage... I guess that while he changed that he also changed something else (a filter maybe). Perhaps their policy is not to make the solution public in order not to have everyone comming in with the units...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us