HK 235 or HK 335 or else?

Music4life
Unregistered guest
My budget is around 300 - 450 for upgrading my receiver. I'm interested with HK 35 series. 60% music and 40% movies. I already have Marantz SR5500, Yamaha RXV650 but still don't enough for me especially in music. Is there have any suggestion in choosing the best receiver on my budget?

Plz.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3294
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E1YPM

Massive PARADIGM SHIFT...this little baby's all-digital technology yields jaw-dropping detail with zero distortion and bottomless power compared to analog receivers costing several times more. I was shocked to discover that it effortlessly outperformed AND outpowered my beloved NAD separates which would cost about 6 times as much brand new! Not to mention my Marantz 5400 that's about triple its (the Panny's) cost.

I bought it for 2-channel music but found that it does HT extremely well, due to the unbelievable clarity and ample power.

Read up on what all the buzz is about, if anything deserves the term "giant-killer" this is it! A couple of threads about this receiver on different forums:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

A few caveats---very minor IMHO at this pricepoint: no pre-outs (would negate the whole point of a digital amp after all), subwoofer crossover only down to 80Hz, no room speaker EQ, primitive remote, no digital outputs, no OSD (onscreen display). Also may not be the best choice if you have lousy, overly bright speakers.

Just as some folks still prefer LPs to CDs and tubes to solid state, you might decide to stick with an analog receiver, I'll make no guarantees. But it's definitely worth hearing it to make up your own mind, in any case...it's a whole different animal!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 639
I would prefer the H/K product above either you have listed above, M4L.
However, you have not told what speakers you own.
Further, if you sold off the pieces you have for something new of refurbed, you could cut down on inventory and move up a tad at the same time?

Music4life
Unregistered guest
My speaker is wharfedale diamond 8.4 and B&W DM602 S3. I'll considered what edster suggest if there have any stock 4 it.

Thanks a lot guyz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3301
> I'll considered what edster suggest if there have any stock 4 it.

psssst...be careful, the Self-Appointed Analog-Patriarchs from the PEC (Pannys Envy Club) might hear you!

lol

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 366
Music4life: Edster and I will differ on what you should buy. I say buy the HK AVR 335, but this is admittedly biased since I own one. But to be fair I'll say go listen to both before your make your decision. The HK will cost about $200 more but you will get so much more for your money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3313
thank you Eric, for expressing your disagreement in a wholly mature, civil and objective tone.

LOL, it's nice to run across another ADULT around here for a change!

Music4life: for what it's worth, if the Panny did not exist I wouuld also recommend looking at HK first among the analog receivers. They do seem to have more QC problems than other receivers but their sound quality is the best among the analog receivers IMHO.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 367
Thanks Edster! As I am 35 years old I tend to steer clear of the kindergarden behavior so prevalent on this forum. You and several other people have spoken of the HK reliability problems lately but I've had my AVR 335 nearly a year now and it's performance is flawless. It's noise floor is nill. With it powered on at idle the speakers are completely silent with both analog and digital inputs. With my ear hard pressed against any speaker I can hear of course no 60Hz AC buzz but not even the faintest hiss whatsoever, dead silence. I have a decent entry model Panamax surge protector/conditioner the 4300, but I ran the HK directly connected to the AC outlet and the same complete silence. Everthing is great so far(knocking on the wood of the computer desk)!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3332
Eric,

I wonder if there was something wrong with the power at the local Circuit City where I went a few weeks ago to check out the Infinity Beta speakers, because their HK receivers definitely produced a hiss at low and moderate levels which surprised me since I had never noticed that all the other times I listened to HKs, for instance at Fry's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us