Marantz SR 4400 and SR 4500

Bronze Member
Username: Pbdr

Post Number: 72
So I am planning on getting my parants a surround reciever for xmass and thinking seriously about either the Marantz SR 4400 (6.1) or SR 4500 (7.1). I can get both refurbished from accessories4less (other site suggestions welcome) for $270 and $300, respectively.

A couple questions:

First, is this a good reciever for this price? Everything I have heard and read leads me to beieve so, but it never hurts to double check.

Second, are refurbished electonics good to buy? I would assume that since that are thoroughly tested, come with a 1 year warranty, and all the originally packaged materials (manuals etc.) that it should be safe. Anyone have experience here?

Third, my parents are unlikely to go with 7.1 and 5.1 is probaly more like it; is there a difference in the 4400 and 4500 besides the 6.1 vs 7.1 decoding? If not I will probably go with the 4400 because its cheaper. (hey, I'm not a cheap gift buyer, but I can't afford as much as I would like...)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3233
If these are the 2 receivers you've fixed your sights on, I'd go for the 4400 if your parents are sure to be 5.1 users and would not worry about it being refurbed if it's from accessories4less.com, they give you a full 1-year Marantz warranty and are known for good service.

I haven't had any problems with my refurb Marantz 4300 CDP from them at all, and yes it did come with all original packaging and manual.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3238
Peter, I own a Marantz 5400 (hey, if you want I'll sell it to you for $300, lol) and there was simply no comparison. The Panny packs way more power and bass, and has absolutely stunning clarity and silkiness that does NOT crumble into distortion or thinness at high volumes. At low/moderate volumes the power/noise difference is not as obvious, but the detail on the Panny still stands out!

Only caveat: if your room and/or speakers are bright the Panny will only make that worse.

I have been following this thread by a Rotel 1095 owner (a $2500 amp) who sold it after trying out a Panny because he said he basically could hear no difference. Now, a couple of weeks later, it appears that he's realizing that the fact that his room is heavily treated might be a big factor too:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=600778&page=3&p p=30

I love his recommendation, though: save your money by buying the Panny instead of some overpriced receiver/amp, and spend the savings on room treatments! That makes a hell of a lot of sense. Of course until WAF gets thrown into play...sigh.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3239
whoa, Peter---what happened to your 2nd post that I just responded to???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Sorry, I saaw the thread about the panny right below and decidedit (along with your discussion there) would probably answer my questions, so I deleted it.

I had hoped you didn't see my response here before I did(didn't want leave you hanging like I did), but I guess you did...

again sorry.

Peter

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
I went with the SR 4400, I hope my parents realize how jealous I aam going to be of this. My little Onkyo is nice, but I'd take a Marantz instead.

If only I knew then what I know now....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3272
yeah don't come over when they're playing music on it, you'll be upset. : )
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us