Question regarding air space for HK AVR525

Username: Dougg

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1
Just purchased an HK AVR525, which I understand tends to run hot. How much "breathing room" should I allow this unit? The TV stand I am looking to purchase is open in the front (no doors) but only has a few inches of clearance on tht top and rear. Is that enough? Thanks for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 255
Doug: I believe H/K and most high current receiver manufacturers state that you should have 6" of space above the top of the component (AVR-525) and any wall, door or other component.

While the sides and bottom aren't as important, the top vents are the most important. The AVR-525 has many vented slots on top to help dissipate the heat inside the unit. The unit also has a fan to help cool itself, but this is a thermal type fan and doesn't always operate, so the importance of the venting on the top is important.

I myself, have my AVR-525 in an open Salamandar Systems Archetype 5.0 rack and it's on top. That's the "best" place for it in my particular situation.

You may find 4" sufficient for your particular needs, but you will find it to run very hot. I had my HDTV Satellite Receiver on top and the AVR-525 got WAY too hot.. the fan never came on to correct that patricular situation. I had to move the HDTV receiver elsewhere on the rack. Your mileage may vary. Some assembly required. Void where prohibited by law. Discontinue use if rash appears, except in Georgia.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us