Athena Point 5 MKII 15345

Username: Noiduh

Post Number: 1
I see this system offered at what seems to be a descent price, Athena Point 5 MKII - $200.00. I would use it mostly for music in a room that is approx. 15 x 20.

Would like the opinion of any of you who have used or listened to these speakers. Also, recommendations for a compatable receiver [under 300.00] and sub [under 200.00]. I have the Pioneer DV-563A DVD-A/SACD player.

Would also welcome other suggestions geared mostly towards music, for speakers, receiver, HTIB, in the under 800.00 price range!

Thanks

Anonymous

I would suggest looking at this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cambridge-SoundWorks-Newton-T100-Theater_W0QQitemZ5836912922 QQcategoryZ32861QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and a Panasonic XR-55 receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3221
For an extra $100 you can have some real Athena speakers from audioadvisor.com---2 pairs of Athena B1s and a C1 center speaker for $300 shipped. Would still be a bit bright when paired with the Panny so you'll have to reduce the treble setting (unless you enjoy bright sound which some people do) but should be much superior to the Point 5 system.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the suggestions!

Checked the Athena B1's at audioadvisor.com. Sounds like a great deal!

I have seen the Dayton subs mentioned in numerous posts. I see that the 10" is going for 100.00. Any thoughts on it or how it would fit with the Athena's?

Edster, have read many of your posts re the "panny!" From what I have read the brightness of the Athena's and panny could be abit too much.

Opinions on the Pioneer , believe it is the 1015, mating with the Athena's and Dayton?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3224
The Dayton is supposed to be very good, provided you get one that is not damaged in shipping. However partsexpress is known to have a very good return policy, I think they actually pay for return shipping in case of damage.

If you want to go analog then I'd buy HK...good deals from Harman Audio on eBay, refurbs but with full 3 year original HK warranty.

HKs can have more risk of QA issues than other analog receivers, and they sometimes do have an audible hum/hiss at low volumes, but overall I find them to have probably the best sound quality of the analog receivers.

Anonymous

I went to audioadvisor.com and saw the 2 pairs of Athena B1s and a C1 center speaker. Is there a large difference between the new B1.2 and the old B1s?

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 30
No difference between B1 and B1.2 except color of speaker drivers. The cabinet is thicker on the old B1 and the speakers weighs a few lbs more. Sound-wise, according to Athena they are supposed to sound the same.

I would get the orignal B1 since they cost less.

Post Number: 4
Original poster has returned!

Ok, THINK i'm gonna push the buttons for:

300.00 = 2 pairs of Athena B1's and a C1 center
130.00 approx. = Dayton 12" sub

No one in my area has "the panny" in stock, so may order it or may pick up an HK and/or Marantz receiver. Would like to get at least 6.1.

Really would like to try the Panasonic sa-xr55, since the price is much less than an HK or Marantz.

I have the Pioneer 563a DVD-A/SACD player and an ancient Technics turntable. Seems most lower priced receivers do not have a phono input... Opinions as to if I would be better off [less expensive!] to purchase a receiver w/phono inputs or to simply get a phono pre-amp.

My main concern is quality sound for music, but the system will also be used for HT. The room is about 20x25 w/one short wall being brick, the other has glass french doors. The long walls, one is half oak built-ins, half sheet rock, the other about 15 ft. sheet rock w/2 doorways. Probably abit of a harsh sounding room!

Recommendations for a better sounding system in this price range and whether to go the receiver w/phono inputs or seperate pre-amp route?

Probably have shared more than you want to know and have failed to include something you need to know, but thanks for all the assistance!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us