Two channel music Preamp upgrade.

Bronze Member
Username: Mad320

Upstate NY, NY USA

Post Number: 28
Looking for some help here. I now run a Anthem TLP preamp with a MCA 2 amp, Rotel 1072 CD player and Paradigm Studio 100v3 speakers for my two channel setup. My problem is The Anthem TLP seems to be Lacking just a little bit, especially in the bass department. I listen to 70's and 80's rock and just can't seem to get the right amount of WHACK in the bass department. I was interested in the Rotel rc-1090 pre amp but I see they don't make that model anymore. Any suggestions for a Two channel amp strictly for music in the $1,000.00-$1,500.00 range. Thanks, Mike

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 585
Mike, that's a tough department.
Have you tried the speakers in all possible positions?

If you can get a (cursed)eq to try, it might help you out a bit.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 12
Michael, I really dont think the problem is the pre-amp. I have a anthem avm20, and was driving top half ofNHT 2.9s with MCA 50, bottom half with seperate sub amps, I was always able to recieve very adequate bass response. If speakers are bi ampable(Im not familiar with them) try that. You havent stated whether or not you run a sub with these? sounds like you dont, so for more WHACK, maybe integrate a sub? It really sounds to me like your asking the speakers to do more than they are capable. Just my opinion. BTW MCA amps are very nice amps, I dont think you need a change there, invest in a good sub and I think your problems will be no more. Good Luck, Dave

Bronze Member
Username: Mad320

Upstate NY, NY USA

Post Number: 29
Thanks, for the suggestions. I made a minor error though that I did not catch before. I'm looking for a upgrade in the Pre amp side not the Amp. I did not mean to say a amp upgrade. I don't think the Anthem TLP-1 preamp has the bass that a better preamp would have. I'm looking to upgrade the preamp. Sorry for the confusion. I may consider a Sub seeing as How the Anthem pre has sub outputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us