Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 52
svs PB12-Plus/2 sub
HK avr 7300
Ascend 340 cmt front and rears and cmt 340 center
im hoping to spend less than 500 for both a dvd and cd player

just trying
Unregistered guest

Hey check out accessories4less.com. They have some nice refurbed Marantz cd and dvd players going for really cheap. People like the NAD cd players too but I forgot the site that has them cheap, google it.

P.S. You may want to hear a cd player or see a dvd player in action before you buy it!! They vary greatly.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 497
Also try saturday audio exchange. I got a great deal on a used Rotel CD player in excellent condition.

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 65
Jake,

With such awesome set up you wouldn't like to save on the source.

I got a simpler set up than yours and I'm crazy with my crappy player.

Check out for the Marantz 6600, Denon 2910 or Rotel RDV 1040.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2377
Better cd playback with a dedicated cd player.

Bronze Member
Username: Jake272727

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 53
thanks im using my ps2 right now lol need something quick

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 54
How does everyone like the denon 2900 to play both my music and my dvds?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 784
It's arguably the bast player made. Very fast response times, excellent CD playack, outstanding DVD picture quality and playback through the 6 ch direct output.

Only thing it doesn't have is HDMI.

Btw the 3910 replaced the 2900, the 2910 replaced the 2200

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 55
what is the differance between the 3910 and the 2900 and does the 2900 sound good with cds
like i said before all i have is a ps2 playing so i dont know how much better anything would sound

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 220
What display are you using? This is fairly important for picking and selecting from all of the DVD players out there. An HD display means you need certain types of players ( or might benefit from I should say), a plasma does a better job matched with certain players less well with others; also--you goin HDMI or component cabling to the display? Are you 50% movies/DVDs, and 50% music? Do watch HD content cable/DISH?

" Help me to help you"

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 785
The 3910 has HDMI, and because of the extra processing stuffed in there has slower reaction times in terms of power on, and the tray opening, etc. Basically if you're not using the HDMI the 2900 is the better bet.

The CD playback is very good, miles ahead of the PS2. However, a stand alone CD player will still be superior. Unless you plan on using the SACD or DVD-A sections of the player you may be better off buying a decent DVD and CD player seperately for $200-$300 each. I say this without knowing what kind of deal you're getting on the 2900.

I own the 2910 and the CD playback is just fine in my opinion. I'm sure at some point I may get the NAD CDP542, but for now I'm very happy with the quality of the playback.

Check this site out for a good comparison of how the different DVD players stack up

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=122

It's interesting that the top three players are priced -

$2000
$299
$1600

It would appear the Panasonic S97 is a real bargain for DVD playback.

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 56
i listen to 50/50 dvd to music i bought the avr 7300 so i could do both with alot of power also my avr 7300 has the video up conversion built into the system. I dont use the hd and dont plan on using it in the near future although i am going to upgrade my tv from the jvc 36" to something around the 50" range dlp while spending at the most 2500. But i do not want to pay for the extra bucks for the hd format im just not that picky

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
OP- Kano is giving you a very good site for seeing how DVD players are evaluated and compare, but that particular link has a very narrow focus of a few months. Go to that site and get the chart of results that put all players tested over time together in one grid. What happened is there has been a slowdown in development of DVD players with the expectation/unsuredness about HD-DVD-BluRay relaease- and there was a crop of 2002 players that were really tops followed by a general stagnation and loss of quality- strangely enough. Then a move towards upscaling. Check the whole she-bang for newer and older player comparisons as well as the ones Kanos link sends you to. Pretty key little place!

Bronze Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 61
The CD playback with the 3910 (same with the Marantz 9500) surpasses that of the 2900 according to many reviewers. It is also supposedly better than the 2910 and older 2200. I have the 2900, while it is great for hi-res audio and HT my cheap Marantz CC4300 pips it slightly for CD playback. The 2900 is slightly more restrained in the mid to upper frequencies - which some may actually prefer.

Having said that, a 2900 should be able to be purchased now for a very reasonable price and that would make it a very good buy for a universal player if some of the newer features (mentioned on the previous post) aren't that important to you.

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 786
I've always had trouble navigating that site -

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
Fair enough jake. My recs are as follows.

1. Used or new in box- Pioneer 59 AVI- they are a steal right now due to the release of the Pioneer 79AVI.

2. Panasonic s77- The best choice perhaps for you. No HDMI connect and no panasonic plasma = no macroblocking. The best choice ( it replaced the s97 BTW) And under bidget!!!

3. Oppo? - Nope. You hear a lot of accolades but it cannot deinterlace on the component connection side and you dont need the upscaling either. Despite its high score- a must avoid recommendation

4. The players to which the DVD players superstuds compare against as a benchmark are the Panny XP30/50/Denon 1600 generation. Best for 480P playback even still. BUT- rarely available. SAme with the aforementioned and excellent Denon 2200 and 2900 which used a different chip altogether with a great Video result.

5. I dont want to get into anything but I can't recommend the Denon 1910 or 2910. AN opnion only.

6. I agree with Arts comment about getting a separate CD player. There is some fab high end stuff out there for audiophiles, and although I bought a contender for my reference system, 2 days ago I picked up a Magnovox DVD/CD player for.... 32 dollars!!! I have been listening to a ton of CDs just to be sure the thing works-- and it sounds just fine with my 80 dollar Ebay Onkyo and AScend 170s. Separation of function is good- but it is not just about quality- its abaout enjoying your nice DVD player for a long time while the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and supporting equipment connection/codec stuff gets all work ed out. Have a good one!!!

Silver Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 787
Good excerpt -

"The DVD-2900 was what I call the Ferrari of DVD players. Mainly because it may very well be the fastest DVD player on the planet. Menu and chapter navigation were instantaneous, and layer changes were completely seamless. This took usability to a whole new level. Because the 2910 uses the Genesis solution, it sacrifices a lot of this. Evidently, the Faroudja processing is too much for the buffers, because navigation is considerably slower than the previous design. Layer changes are also clocking in around a second, which isn't bad, but it isn't the 2900."

Bronze Member

Vernal, Ut Usa

Post Number: 57
Thanks for all the posts. Ive recently just figured out what a sacd is lol and i dont have any even though i love music and dvd ive only been able to hear them on a very bad system tell now where i was able to afford my own and pick what i wanted. So with that being said im really leaning toward the 2900 because for one im running out of money lol and two i dont have room for two players.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us