Monitor Audio Gold Refernce 60

Username: Taito

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 7
Hi all, I have been looking around for suitable speakers for my current (new) system (for a large room), which includes: Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Rotel RC-1070 preamp and a Rotel RB-1080 power amp (200w/ch).

I have not got around to auditioning speakers yet, but from my research, I find the MA GR-60's very appealing. They currently sit at the top of my to-listen-to list.

How satisfied are owners with these speakers (also GR-20's). Also, does MA match Rotel gear well? Any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 79
The top of the line MA gold 60's and 20's are very clean sounding speakers with a virtuous list of sonic attributes. The negative feature, sufficient to remove them from a price comptetitive short list of finalists, in my opinion, is the bass performance vs. price. It would be easy to surpass the MA performance with a less expensive set of speakers and good cables.
Rotel gear works well with anything and is first rate in all regards.

Username: Knightshade

Taunton, Somerset England

Post Number: 2
http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/
Can you guy's get these in Australia?
If you can Listen to the FB1's these speakers blow Monitor Audio Gold range out the water (and Monitor audio make some fine speakers)The Base extension is superb put these on a good system with good cables and you'll never look back.
Or if you want the GR6 (3 Way) equivilent then try the OB1's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Funny you mention the PMC's. There are just a few dealers in the States and I DROOL over PMC's. You BRITS sure turn out some good speakers! I adore the 3 way PMC OB1 and it's on my list of final speakers to audition. Monitor Audio is availablee at Good Guys, a major chain here, so MA get reasonable exposure. PMC is distributed out of Canada by Bryston but I'll bet PMC will outperform MA; esp for the prices being so close.

Username: Knightshade

Taunton, Somerset England

Post Number: 5
Save the best till last Chico, you won't be dissapointed.
I'm in agreement with you, the MA's (GR) are a very nice speaker but they do have a tendency to lack a little bass on certain systems. However using top quality Silver or OCC copper interconnects and cables can practically eliminate this. For my money the S6/S8's offer best performance/value for money. The differences between the Silver and Gold ranges are there but not that noticable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Mark - I think I do agree with you. The MA"s are not bad, in fact I really like the GR20. I just wince a little at $3k for a speaker with weak bass & diffraction when so many other speakers perform as well or better for less money. I also fairly mentioned the problem with Good Guys use of Monster Cable, given Monster's over-exaggerated mid-range and bloaty bass contributing to auditioning variables. Thats why I made mention of potential buyers to audition MA in their own systems.
If I were to get MA, I would might choose the S6, and make certain I had the RIGHT cables to use. True, the differences in the Gold and Silver are not extreme, but neither are still price competitive in any event in my mind.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us