Will the Onkyo TX-NR801 handle 4 ohm speakers?

Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 9
I have 4 ohm B&W DM610i speakers, and I am looking for a receiver that will drive them and sound good. Also, I have my computer hooked into my sound system to play MP3 music, which is why I am leaning towards the TX-NR801. I have seen reveiws of the TX-NR901 that say it will definitely drive 4 ohm speakers, but I don't know about the TX-NR801. Any other receivers you would suggest?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 170
sean what is your budget for a reciever?

and it looks like the onkyo you are interested
in does not work on a four ohm load.

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 82
My friend has a 601E and it drives 4Ohm quite nicely. Also reviews show that 801 outputs clearly more power to 4Ohm than to 8Ohm, so I think it will be fine. In one review the 801 was tested with 4Ohm Dynaudio Contour + Audience speaker system and they said it didn't fall short of dynamics or power.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 172
i would be very leary of running 4 ohm speakers
on a unit that states 6 ohm minimum right on the back of the unit.

and some speaker that are rated at 4 ohm are more
like 5 or 6 while some may dip as low as 2.5 and
if you run those on a system that is not rated at
4 ohm it not last very long.

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 11
My budget is probably about $400-$700 (but I can look for more expensive receivers either refurb or used). I think the Onkyo 901 might handle 4 ohms, and somebody told me the Pioneer elite 55tx and the Yamaha 1200 and 1400. I am wondering also if the Yamaha 1300 and the Pioneer 53tx do (they are cheaper). DO either of you know my B&W speakers (DM610i)? Are they worth the trouble to get a 4 ohm receiver or should I just sell them?

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 42
I won't risk a 6 ohm receiver with a 4 ohm load all round! Not all 4 ohm load speakers behave the same! At certain peaks, it can go down to 2 ohms, which will be too much for the power supply within the receiver! This will end up in triggering a cut off/shutdown of the receiver to prevent any internal demages!

My T762 is currently driving a set of KEF TDM THX cetified speakers with a 4 ohm load all round, and it drives them with no prob at all even at reference level at prolonged periods!

At that Price I would recommend/audition the NAD T753 or the T762 (a discontinued model)

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 21
Somebody has told me that Harman Kardon receievers (AVR430 and AVR525) should handle 4 ohms, but they say 8 ohms on the receiver...you would advise against?

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 22
Also, how about the NAD T743? That seems to be rated at 4 ohms. I guess the NAD T742 is a little risky.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 372
I just now looked at the back of the Onkyo 801 and it says "4 ohm min or 6 ohm min, see instruction manuel". Since this is a THX select receiver it supposedly had to pass THX's 3.2 ohm spec. I don't have a manuel but it would seem this unit can and should drive 4 ohm speakers. Maybe someone who owns one can tell us what the manuel says or if they are driving 4 ohm speakers with it.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 157
Sean,

The NAD T743 will drive 4 ohm speakers. That's the official word from NAD. Others on this board have stated that the T742 is able to drive 4 ohm speakers with no difficulty. However, NAD for whatever reason doesn't officially acknowledge that rating for the T742.

Bronze Member

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 26
I think I am going to get a NAD. I have seen some good deals on blemished and refurbs with factory warranties. Is the T762 worth $200 more than the T752? Do either have a "zone 2" option or A&B front switching? If I am gonna put out the bucks, I thought I might want to have the option of using it in a separate room. I guess, however, that I can use a separate amp through pre-out or separate receiver through some audio out for that as well.

I understand that besides the 20wpc extra that the T762 offers vis a vis the T752, it also has tordial (sp?) power unit, which is preferable for more power (and I assume stamina?). Any other features I should know about? I am checking all over the web, but it is difficult to get good info on these receivers.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 43
THe T762 has 3 component in and 1 out, RS232 Port for advanced controllers, a huge torodial transformer,hdcd decoding, plus 6 power amps instead of 5 rated at 100w all channel driven.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 292
Sean,

The NAD T762 DOES have A/B speaker switching, and it DOES have a second zone cabability, although you will have to add another amp to get the full zone 2 output. A second remote is included for the second zone and will independantly control volume, source, etc for the second zone...but like I said, you need another amp to make it happen.

To compare the 762 and 752 more in depth, check out these two sites.

http://www.nadelectronics.com/av_receivers/T752_framset.htm
http://www.nadelectronics.com/av_receivers/T762_frameset.htm

Just from reading those two websites, it seems as though the 752 DOES NOT offer A/B switching or second zone capability.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us