NAD Service

Bronze Member
Username: Boots

Post Number: 18
Hi All
I just wanted to post this to praise NAD service. Almost 2 years ago, I purchased a new NAD T742 receiver. I absolutely loved the sound, especially for music, but Home Theatre was also phenomenal!
Equipment: Hitachi 51S500 HD TV; PSB Image 5T towers, PSB Image 9c center speaker, PSB subsonic 5i sub, and PSB Alpha surrounds, Samsung progressive scan DVD/SACD/DVD-A with DVI interface.
I had intermittent problems with losing the right rear surround from the NAD T742. I had it in the shop under warranty twice and each time they could not duplicate the issue. It would work fine when I got it home, but a few months later would go out again. I think it is a loose connection in the unit or a bad DSP. Anyway, it was working again, but as my warranty was about to expire, I wrote NAD. With absolutely no hassle at all, the agreed to replace the unit with a brand new NAD T743 upgrade. Because they were back-ordered on the T743, they upgraded me to a brand new T753 with another full 2 year warranty! I've had it hooked up for a few weeks now with absolutely no problems and it sounds even better than the old T742. Hats off to NAD for their great customer service.
Boots

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 593
It is ironic that we only mostly hear the negative stories of some of the NAD equipment however, I have always received nothing but wonderful service from my dealer and the NAD company itself even though I have had only one problem in 20 years as a loyal customer. I do not own AV equipment and like I have said before, NAD is NOT the only company that has problems here!

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Post Number: 251
Boots, that's excellent, I hope you enjoy the new T753.

I had the exact same problem with my NAD T742, although it was the left rear channel. I brought it in once, and like you experienced, they couldn't duplicate it. I figured at the time it was possibly a loose speaker wire connection as some of the banana plugs were a bit loose. The problem came back again a few months later, this time I brought it to a different dealer and they fixed a cold-solder joint. The problem didn't reoccur after that and I eventually sold the T742 for other reasons. I briefly had a refurb T752, then a Cambridge Audio 540R and now an H/K AVR235 in a somewhat fruitless quest to replicate the stereo sound of my old pro-logic H/K AVR30 unit. I like the feature set of the AVR235 and it's quite decent with music and very good with HT but I do occasionally get the NAD itch...I might give one of them a try again when the next line comes out.

FWIW, the dealer who fixed the NAD no longer carries H/K receivers due to quality problems, claims they don't have quality issues with NAD...go figger.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 527
Boots,
Excellent story, thanks for sharing. I have the same receiver (T742 - love it by the way), and was quite happy with NAD support when I had the need to involve them in a problem some time back.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 482
I'm glad you are all happy with your NAD support, however you guys remind me of a co-worker I had years ago. When Chrysler came around to offering 5/5000 miles protection on their cars in the mid 80's, (mind you this warranty was something new and totally extraordinary at the time) this gentelmen bought one. In the first 3 months he had the car in the shop 5 times, but he was so giddy about the fact that the repairs are all free that he would forget the annoyance of not having a car all this time and having to get rides to the dealership back and forth.

Point being that a 2 year old NAD should not breakdown in any way. The fact that all four of you have had problems with your NAD speaks to the issues this company is having with production. A good sounding system that needs to go back in the shop all the time is as good as my old co-workers car, regardless of the level of support.

On the other hand I took my 15 year old Rotel amp back to a shop when I started hearing speakers blinking sometimes. They told me it basically needed a "lube job". $45 later I was out the door, with my first ever repair on this great unit.

NAD does sound wonderful. However until they get their production line straight, I will stay away.

Unregistered guest
This is a good information/opinion board; that's probably why we all hang around. It also helps other people on what and how to spend hard earned money on audio gear.

My experience, NAD 752, was not so fortunate; all 5 channels crapped out 8 months after 2 year warranty expiration. Am now running an outboard Parasound 855A that in some ways exceeds the excellent NAD sound and others, not so good. There are alternatives to NAD and their reported problems; Parasound offers a 10 year warranty.

Whether the QC issues are pandemic to audio gear or endemic to NAD, there are enough reports in the archives for buyers to review and pass judgement for themselves.

I'll subscribe to Stof's spin; more is at hand here than luck of the draw and Murphy had NAD in mind when he invented Law.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 594
Stof...........read again! I said ONE problem in 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!!! You counted me as one of the 4.

NAD's problems stem from their AV equipment and for a fact ROTEL has their particular problems here as well!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 528
If you look through just these type of forums, it seems like there aren't many brands that are immune to AV issues. Of course since these boards do not offer any real statistical proof of quality issues, we really can't say with certainty how wide spread any perceived problem actually is.

BTW Stof just to be clear, although I engaged NAD support (they went FAR out of their way to assure I was a satisfied customer), the problem I had ended up not being with the T742.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 484
My apologies Dan, I think I just got a little too hot under the collar before writing this. I think NAD built it's reputation around good quality sound at reasonable prices. Unfortunately their production quality has slipped tremendously over the past 5-8 years. I'm glad that at the least the company is owning up to these issues by doing repairs.

Obviously my own Rotel is old. I'm not sure what Rotel is doing these days, although I have not heard as much gripe about it on this forum as much as NAD. Even my local NAD dealer couldn't quite defend their HT system.

Unregistered guest
The archives also state that some had a disaster in communicating with NAD customer service.

It's good to hear that your experince was good even though you had problems; it's tough beans for me that I'm out 900 Dollars U.S.

Best of all, all the reports are available for prospective buyers to make their own individal decisions on whether or not they will get burned.

Like I said, it's a good information board. Alot of people lurk for information; let's give them the benefit of no doubt that they are sharp enough to take in all reported points of view.

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
Indeed, let's hope the NAD T7x4 line, if that's what the call it, has improved in this area.

JAW, did you get an estimate on fixing the T752?

Unregistered guest
Smitty, yes, the estimate on fixing the T752 is $125 here:
http://www.stereorepair.net/NAD.htm
+ about $70 round trip freight = ~$200; it's not a ton of money, not a big deal. I have emailed them twice and they seem to know what they're doing.

And, yes, I plan on getting it repaired because the sound is good. Can't find an outfit locally for repair that I feel comfortable with. If you can recommend anyone from your experience, please advise. A reputable repair shop in Chicago would be of help.

Did open up the unit which means little to me. I am not oblivious, however, to electrical shock and the fact that the unit does not function after 32 months.

In the meantime, won't be party to the NAD St. Peters Sq. crowd on this board and blindly nod approval as the smoke rises from the chimney in awe of NAD QC.

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
I think we're all waiting for the white smoke to rise from the chimney signalling the successor NAD T7x4 line with all QC problems fixed.

I can't recommend any repair shops in the Chicago area, but I would give these guys a call if you haven't already:
http://www.saturdayaudio.com

Unregistered guest
Thanks. Will email them for a second opinion. A bug free NAD AVR would be a welcome alternative for both HT/Audio buyers.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 529
Adding to what Smitty said, Saturday Audio in Chicago is an authorized seller of NAD equipment (that's where I got mine from). I would imagine they can advise you where to have any servicing done in or around the Chicago area.

Bronze Member
Username: Boots

Post Number: 19
Well, as a Post Script, I had read a lot on this forum about problems with NAD, coupled with folks hooked on their sound. I decided to take a chance for that and was amazed at the sound. I was very disappointed at having to deal with the channel dropping out. As my warranty was about to expire, and the unit was now working fine, I contacted NAD, mostly in the hopes of having them possibly extend the warranty in case the problem arose again. I never expected a new full warrantied upgrade to a 743, much less a brand new T753. Total cost to me was $12 for sending back the old T742. In these days of mass production and greedy corporate offices, everything suffers, but it's better if we have good customer service to fall back on...not that common. As to QC, it goes back to the old adage "...never buy a car that rolled of the assembly line on a Friday!
Boots
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us