Help with setup of subwoofer

Username: Balberti76

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Post Number: 1
Ok...So here is my deal. I have Polk audio speakers right now. Not really into wanting the top dollar stuff, but trying to get the best sound I can for the dollars I have! Anyway...I have a Velodyne VRP1200 sub, Polk R30's for front, R15's for back and not sure what model, but a Polk center channel. I also am not sure of Onkyo receiver number, but it is like 3 years old and I think was rated at like 65 watts per channel. Here is my problem....Why oh why...does the Velodyne sub in Circuit City bang the heck out of you, but mine.....doesn't...I mean I can see the sub at circuit city move...mine...barely. What is wrong??? I have a monster cable running from the subwoofer out to the sub...would a new receiver make a difference? The rest of the system sounds pretty good though. Any ideas? Now when I play movies...it sounds pretty good, but running the my digital cable box with optical connection doesn't really hit that. Plus I have the amp turned up pretty high also. I guess my real question is...does the reciever offer any benefit to the sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Ncavman

N.C.

Post Number: 84
Sounds like your sub is not in the optimum space in the room. Placement of the sub is as critical if not more critical than the other speakers. It is too long to get into (do some google searches or check hsu's site http://www.hsuresearch.com/support/index.php?id=36 ) but here is a cheap easy way to improve the sub's performance to your ears.

Try this:

1. Put the sub in the chair (or on the floor) at the spot where your seat is. Yes it sounds silly... do it.

2. Put on some good music with good bass.. music that you know well, at a medium-high volume. Make sure the sub is on and at least half volume.

3. Now, move slowly around the room on your hands and knees. Go ALL OVER, near the walls and corners, and note the places where the bass is solid or muddy. Note the places where the sub is very strong and very weak. Write down the spots that are loud and tight.

4. Optional --> now turn the sub 90 degrees so the cone is facing another wall and repeat. Look for solid, strong bass spots that were the same as before.

5. Now, move your sub to the spot where the bass sounded the fullest and tightest or loudest. Don't put it right up to the wall. Corners are great if it works in yoru room.

Now see if you are happier with the bass. You may end up moving your sub several times, most people do.

Also, make sure the sub-out or whatever you are using as an output, it turned up to full gain if you have that option. Most surround recv's allow you to adjust each channel including the .1 sub channel. DOn't know if your Onk is surround or not but look for a level adjustment.

Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us