Help with Yamaha RX-V1600 and Cox Cable Box

Username: Andre18

Post Number: 9
I have purchased a Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver. I run an HDMI cable from that receiver to my television (Sony XBR). I then run another HDMI/DVI cable from my receiver to my Cox Cable Motorola box. The picture appears for about 5 seconds and then disappears. Does anyone have a solution?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 738
Yes. Call Cox cable for either a software update or a new box. Odds are there are varying iterations of HDMI--from 1.0 to 1.2 (in your case probably 1,0 to 1.1) You need to find out from each company: Yammy, Cox, and Sony what version of HDMI. I'd start with Cox, as I suspect that is the problem.

Post Number: 10
I called Cox and basically they did what they always do. Send a signal to by box. They told me I had one of the latest models but were actually not very helpful. I'll see if this signal works but its doubtful.

Steven Cheatham
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem with my 2600. Audio video people I had installing told me there was nothing I could do about it. If someone actually gets a solution and their receiver works I would love to hear about it. I was looking forward to upconverting my regular cable.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 109
you have to figure out a way to disable HDCP on the box. I have the same problem with my yamaha 5990 (same as your 1600) and it won't work. The problem is that the cable company is not transmitting an HDCP compliant signal which yamaha is seeing and kills. You will eventually see a message that says "The HD Content Protection of your Display Device Has Been Compromised. Please connect using Y Pr PB cables." This is BY FAR the most annoying issue I have run into with my system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Have any of you tried switching cable boxes and going with the newer version (HDMI Box instead of the DVI Box)? Cuylar, can you tell me what you mean when you say disable the HDCP on the box? I am not an expert with all this. Thanks very much

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 110
I have the HDMI box. Using the buttons on the box press the power button. Within 2 seconds press the ok/select button. a debug menu will come up. Go to D11. (interface status) and go to the second page. There will be "HDCP ENABLED" a n/a or a yes means that it is enabled.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp

That is what is causing your problem. If HDCP is disabled the video will work just fine because it won't get seen as a "spotty" protection.

Anonymous

Bought a Yam 1600 too but it sounds terrible. Just awful almost as bad as my Onkyo. Im getting my $900 back!

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 111
try making your own thread or getting new speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2298
Perhaps he should get a Panny. I'm sure it's better...lol!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3043
why welcome aboard Art, I just *knew* you'd be coming to your senses sooner or later!

Tom Snook
Unregistered guest
Any ideas on how to disable the HDCP on the Motorola box?

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 112
motorola won't tell me how. i can't find it online. i am SURE there is a code i can type just like for dvd players. according to motorola there is a new firmware (12.22??? i think that is it, i have 12.11) that fixes it.... Maybe your cable company can swap for a box with newer firmware.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I had the same question. How to disable the HDCP. The problem is that the technicians from Cox are usless. They don't even know what this means. How do you find out which firmware version you are using?

Anonymous

I have Totem Arros. The 1600 makes them sound like Bose I mean really that bad.

Whats this Panny that Art mentioned?

Silver Member

MN USA

Post Number: 116
Make sure you get a 6412p3 with the firmware 12.22 or higher or you will have issues with the HDMI.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us