How do I Size Speaker Stands?

Bronze Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 100
I think my room is going to be difficult to get my speakers situated in and I have not yet really experimented with placement, I'll do that after I get stands.
Room is 12' x 22' x 9' with wood floors. The room functions as an art studio, bedroom, office, and lounge. Interestingly I have a 16' long x 8' tall section of Homosote panels mounted on one wall.
I have ONE chair in the room which places my EAR @ 4' off the floor (chair adjusts in height from 41'-49"). I usually listen from the chair (the only other static listening position is laying on a mattress on the floor).

Speakers are the Polk Lsi9.
The speaker cabinets are 15" tall and the tweeter is mounted exactly in the middle at 7.5' from the bottom of the speaker cabinet. They have a footprint of about 13" x 7"and weight 33lbs each.

So what height speaker stands do I buy to work with the Lsi9 in my room?
Is a 6"x6" top speaker stand platform sufficient, that seems to be the default paltform size?

The speakers are currently placed 7' apart (on center) but one is about 5" higher than the other: one tweeter is at 43"and one is at 48"height. They both reside on massive wooden 'furniture' pieces. I'll try and describe the room later when I get the speakers set up on stands, but the biggest disappointment with the Lsi9 (at least as they are currently setup) is the lack of soundstage (I hope I'm using the terminology correctly). There is little illusion of the music emanating from beyond the speakers laterally (or front to back)... it sounds like it's coming from the speaker cabinets.
I'd like deeper bass, but I'm not certain what percentage of what I have now is the doings of the amp, speaker, or the room.

Bronze Member
Username: Cmoore

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 29
Sit where you will normally be listening.
Measure from floor to your ear.
Measure speaker from bottom of cabinet to middle of tweeter.
Subtract that from ear measurement to height of stand required, less spikes (1").

Optimal listening is with tweeters at ear level.
If you use proper speaker stands, and fill them with lead shot from a local shooting range, your bottom end, and sound stage will improve.

Stands should always be heavier than the speakers.
My main stands are 4 pillar Atlantics and weigh 110 lbs each with the lead shot.

Sound stage image can be adjusted by changing the speaker angle inward/outward.

Cheers!

Optimal listening position is in the middle, and back from the speakers the same distance they are apart.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us