Power Wanted

Username: Gimmeajo

New orleans, La Usa

Post Number: 1
Howdy,
The name is Zander, new to the message board, and relatively new to high-end home audio. I have just recently purchased my first quality system:

B&W DM604 S3's running on a Rotel RX-1050

Recently after finally discovering the beauty of true clean sound, I began thinking about MORE sound. While at the local shop, my dealer showed me my same system with the addition of a Rotel RB-1080 amp that added 200 watts to the RX-1050's 100 watts. My god, what a difference it made.

I am just looking for ways to beef up the power in my system without spending 1k. Any sugggestions would be much appreciated.

Jan Vigne
Unregistered guest
Replacing the receiver's power amp section with the outboard amplifier is not "adding" watts to your receiver. I am going to assume the dealer disabled your receiver's amplifier by running from preamp out to the inputs of the RB-1080. If that is the case you simply heard the benefit of a better amplifier. Chaging from a 100 watt amplifier to a 200 watt amp, if they are of equal quality, will result in a net gain of only 3 dB. Not a big difference on dynamic material. To make a difference in volume with power alone it is generally considered to require ten times as much power. 1000 watt amps get pretty expensive, even for bad ones. If volume is what you are after you should consider more effeicient speakers (speakers with a higher number in the spec known as sensitivity [** dB at 1 watt in at 1 meter]). Changing from a receiver's amplifier to a separate power amplifer should eliminate the compromises of receiver design that let the manufacturer sell a receiver at a lower price. It is very difficult and demands extremely high standards for a company to manufacture a receiver that sounds identical to their higher priced separates, and would ultimately become self defeating in most cases. I don't know what you mean by "MORE sound", that can mean a lot of things. Maybe if you were more specific it would be easier to help you or maybe you should just buy the RB-1080.

Unregistered guest
Zander, MORE sound or BETTER sound?

New orleans, La Usa

Post Number: 2
well since i posted that message (and with the response from Jan) i have just let the current set up settle in with me. after many many hours of serious listening and positioning i have become overly satisfied. in the future i plan on adding a good cd player, if youhave any suggestions on single disc players id like to check them out. to answer you question Better sound is the goal. the Rotel amp combined with the reciever gave better and much more sound, but is far above budget right now.

swampcat
Unregistered guest
I have a 200 wpc amp, and a 100 wpc amp (both Adcom). When either amp is hooked up to same speaker system, there's not much of a volume change (some, but not major). There is a sound diference between the amps more so than volume. If I hook up my 100 watt amp to my klipsch speakers with a spl of 99db and my 200 watt amp to my design acoustics speakers with a spl of 90db. The 100 watt amp will play much louder than the 200 watt amp. This is because the speaker sensitivity rating play a more important role in volume than the power. A more sensitive speaker will due the trick for volume. (Both rated spl@1watt/1meter)

swampcat
Unregistered guest
Quick note. I bought the 200 watt amp . after already owning the 100 watt amp for the more power, sound, volume reason, and was i suprised not much of a sound diference. That was 19 years ago. (Just out of high school) Dont buy the more powerful amp for volume reasons.

New orleans, La Usa

Post Number: 3
when i heard my 100 wpc amp alone it was relatively equal in volume when combined with the 200 wpc addition. although, it seemed that with the added power it made the entire system sound fuller. but after having my current system for a while im starting to agree with you, it just isnt that much of a difference for the price.

New orleans, La Usa

Post Number: 4
just to add. my B&W's have a 90db spl

j. vigne
Unregistered guest
Zander - check out the response to "Harman Kardon".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us