Complete Newbie - Some help please

Username: Stlogan

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm a complete newbie to this, and I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm interested in getting a 5.1 surround sound system, primarily for music, in the sub $500 range. I've done searches on the internet, and I can't really seem to find anything relevant to what I want. I'd prefer to stay away from systems-in-a-box. I was hoping that someone would be able to recommend to me a powerful and clear 5.1 speaker system, or perhaps point me in the direction where I might be able to do some better research on my own.

I'd go to Best Buy or Tweeter and ask them, but I'm sure they'd just try to sell me whatever they could, and I hesitate to really take their advice. In my experience salesman at electronics stores don't always know what they're talking about.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

-sean

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 422
For the $ you say, HTIB is all you get, from my seat.
How bout stereo, and stert there?
Still a few $ more needed, but better stuff.
Others will follow up this thread

Username: Stlogan

Post Number: 2
Alright. Would I be better served getting a computer surround sound speaker system, such as a Klipsch Promedia system, and just using that? I'm no real audiophile, I don't need perfect sound. I'd like something nice though under $500.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 243
Save time, money, and headaches and buy

The Mission M3S for $198. delivered

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=309-150

good luck
Unregistered guest
2 pairs of Athena B1's for $199, one Athena C1 center for $99 and that leaves you about $200 for a sub...not bad. This setup will blow away any HTIB. I don't think you can realistically do better for this price point. You can check out the Dayton 10 sub from partsexpress.com or the Velodyne VX-10 at bhphotovideo.com. Both are decent 10'' subs under $200. You can check out the athenas at audioadvisor.com.

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 28
The Dayton sub is $100 including free shipping. Match that with the Athenas and you have a complete system for $400. You could add another pair of B1's and have 7.1 for $500.

Was your $500 supposed to include a receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2993
sean,

If this system is, as you write, "primarily for music" then with your $500 budget I'd just go 2-channel.

Sorry, $500 for a receiver plus 5 speakers and a sub is going to get you garbage if music is what you're after. For HT it might kinda sorta do though.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 246
The Athena/Dayton set-ups are excellent choices, but more expensive than the Mission M3S package at Parts Express.

Perhaps another choice is to suplement the M3S set-up with a pair of Mission M31i for $120. or even better the Mission M32i for $175. from Amazon.

If this is a music-mostly set-up, I can confidently say, after many weeks of auditioning speakers at high-end shops in NYC, that a pair of M32i represents one, if not the best values up to nearly $500. They are competitive with anything up-to, let's say the Paradigm Studio 20v3, the Epos M5, or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 IMHO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3001
Christopher,

I've never heard the Missions but I thought they are said to be very bright?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 247
Not true, they are super, and they're on sale at amazon, I rolled the dice and bought a pair. I REALLY like them. Holographic imaging, deep, meaningful bass, not bright, vivid. A real well built, albeit large, bi-wireable bookshelf for $175, delivered. At this price, I real don't know what other sub-$200 speaker, or sub-$300. speakers I've heard that compares to it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3004
I'm intrigued... You say they're comparable to the Studio 20s?

Oh my, dear old Art will be coming down on you for that one, LOL!

Now would you characterize this as a "warm" speaker?

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 248
I know I'm sticking my neck out with my review, but I think they're that good.

Now please, before everyone pounces, I said UP-TO the 20v3, M5, and 9.2. The M32i are a step down from those speakers.

Now havings said that, they may represent a better value than lets say, the Paradigm Mini Monitor, Epos ELS-3, or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, all being speakers that suffer to varying degrees from smallish mid/woofers. The M32i with it's 6.5" mid/woofer is very muscular in comparison.

It is very hard to categorize the speaker, they will be replacing my pair of Infinity Alpha 20, maybe they compare to the Beta 20, but I've not heard those, or perhaps they're in the same category as the Wharfedale Diamond 8.2, but I've not heard those either.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 249
Vivid, holgraphic, yes, warm would not be my first choice. But these are new, I'm still running them in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us